zsh-workers
From: Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@yahoo.co.uk>
To: Zsh Hackers' List <zsh-workers@zsh.org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: expand tabs
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 16:15:23 +0200	[thread overview]

Peter wrote:
> I've added a -x option where this makes sense.  This has propagated as
> far up as allowing "zed -f -x 2" to edit functions in ZLE with the
> indentation looking like it does for contributed functions.

Is definitely nice to be able to get function definitions with just the
two spaces of indentation. I have an expand-function zle widget which
has had to pipe the output through expand.

This will cause me to add a bunch of aliases to have -x2 be the default.
Would it perhaps make sense to allow a default to be specified in a
special variable. This could also affect the values for the functions
association. It might also be more flexible in the long term if we want
to allow more aspects of the output format to be customisable: different
indentation for continuation lines, ksh style function definitions or
whatever. Having the user's preference in one place might also be used
in future for other contexts such as perhaps doing smart indentation
from zle.

Oliver