zsh-workers
* AIX - getting dynamic modules working
@ 2000-03-31 19:27 The Corridor
From: The Corridor @ 2000-03-31 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Several questions:

   1) I've tried setting $LDFLAGS in the environment and
      running configure, but $LDFLAGS does not make it into
      the Makefile(s).

      Let me know the best way to pass in linker commands
      to configure.

   2) Has anyone tried to change the zsh makefiles to use
      libtool. If so, send me your makefiles, as this is
      probably a better place to start.

Thanks.

* Re: AIX - getting dynamic modules working
@ 2000-04-03 11:51 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2000-04-03 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Corridor; +Cc: zsh-workers

The Corridor wrote:

>    1) I've tried setting $LDFLAGS in the environment and
>       running configure, but $LDFLAGS does not make it into
>       the Makefile(s).

Are you sure that you exported LDFLAGS. Try:
export LDFLAGS=whatever

This works fine for me (on AIX).

What do you actually want to put in the LDFLAGS. I use a dynamic zsh on
AIX and have never had any problems compiling it that relate to compiler
options.

>       Let me know the best way to pass in linker commands
>       to configure.

One of the best ways if you are generally using the same options is to
create a config.site shell script. This gets run by configure everytime
so lets you setup common variables. I also use it so that I keep a
single configure cache which speeds things up a lot. See the autoconf
manuals for more details.

>    2) Has anyone tried to change the zsh makefiles to use
>       libtool. If so, send me your makefiles, as this is
>       probably a better place to start.

Not that I know of and I really hope nobody does. Admittedly I haven't
looked at libtool for a few versions but the last time I did, there was
a lot that I didn't like. It seems to be primarily concerned with
allowing you to handle shared and static libraries interchangeably which
is something which I've never found to be a problem anyway. There no
attempt to use any kernel supported shared object versioning systems
used by OS's such as IRIX but it has it's own version system which
relies on a mess of symbolic links and which is fairly useless without
kernel support. It seemed to slightly miss what I considered to be the
main potential use of it - platform independence for software using
DSOs.

Oliver Kiddle