zsh-workers
From: "Daniel Shahaf" <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>
To: linuxtechguy@gmail.com
Cc: devs <zsh-workers@zsh.org>
Subject: Re: Unexpected output in zshcontrib(1) that doesn't match yodl source
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 14:20:05 +0000	[thread overview]

Jim wrote on Thu, 12 May 2022 10:00 +00:00:
> Should have been more clear on the "highlighting" part mentioned in my
> first email. In the attachment with the original email only the last
> item in the list "run-help-svn" is highlighted(in red). The attached
> file, here, is from the on-line file I referenced. As can be seen "run-help-
> srn" is a different font than the others listed there. I checked some
> older versions of the man page I had on one of my systems and the
> highlighting of only the last item in the list has been there at least
> since version 5.3.1.
>
> Am I wrong in assuming all the items in the list should be
> "highlighted" or should none of them?

All of them should be in a fixed-width font (or red, in your viewer).
That's what «tt(foo)» is meant to do.

The markup in the source is xitem(tt(foo)) v. item(tt(foo)).  So, the
cause of the difference lies in the definitions of the xitem()/item()
macros, in Doc/ztexi.yo and Doc/zman.yo.  The former file is used for
texinfo output (from which HTML and PDF are generated); the latter for
man page output.

A good next step would be to build the docs («make -C Doc») and review
the man page source / texinfo source generated from the yodl, to see
what part of it suppresses the markup generated by the tt() macro (that
one is probably part of yodl).  E.g., on 5.8.1.3-test using yodl 4.02.00
I get:

    .TP
    .PD 0
    \fBrun\-help\-svk\fP
    .TP
    .PD
    \fBrun\-help\-svn\fP
    Assistant functions for the

and «man Doc/zshcontrib.1» renders both "run-help-svk" and "run-help-svn"
in bold.  That is: I can't reproduce the problem with the man page
output on 5.8.1.3-test with the aforementioned yodl version.

ENOTIME to test the texi output, sorry.

Cheers,

Daniel