zsh-workers
From: Oliver Kiddle <opk@zsh.org>
To: Marlon Richert <marlon.richert@gmail.com>
Cc: Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@zsh.org>
Subject: Re: Why does _main_complete not try the next completer when $_comp_mesg is non-zero?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 11:25:33 +0200	[thread overview]

Marlon Richert wrote:
> I've been using some variation of the code below in my
> [zsh-autocomplete plugin]
> (https://github.com/marlonrichert/zsh-autocomplete) since last July
> (so, for about 9 months now) and I have yet to experience any issues
> from it, nor have any of my end users reported any issues from it.
> That’s why I’m asking whether the behavior upstream is actually
> necessary.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my reply but yes I do regard it as necessary.

Maybe that code doesn't cause "issues" but it does change behaviour and
stop completion from working in the way I've come to expect it.

There are some related aspects of the current behaviour I'm not
especially keen on like _guard not taking a tag and situations where you
get both the description and the message constructed from the format
style with the warnings tag. Those should be two distinct cases and to
cover your use-case there might be a way to control whether completion
continues.

What does your completer style look like out-of-interest? Do you set
zstyle ':completion:*:warnings' format ?

Oliver