zsh-workers
From: Ray Andrews <rayandrews@eastlink.ca>
To: zsh-workers@zsh.org
Subject: Re: Could someone clarify how math functions work?
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:35:48 -0800	[thread overview]

On 12/20/2014 11:37 AM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> [> workers]
>
> On Dec 19,  9:35am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
> }
> } I'm wondering, however, if we can do a bit better by strengthening the
> } warnings against variant syntax --- whose sole role appears to be to
> } confuse the user --- and provide some kind of good practice guide for
> } complex syntax such as functions, loops, etc.  But would anyone read it?
I would.  OTOH why is variant syntax there at all?  What does it
accomplish *but* the confusion of the user?  The culture seems to be one
in which it is considered good that one can do things in 50 different
ways.  I understand that in Python culture they make a virtue out of
saying that there is only ever *one* way to do whatever it is that you
are doing, which means that reading Python must be a breeze because one
does not have to learn 50 dialects of the language. That's probably
going too far IMHO, tho.

Speaking as the newcomer here, the agony of learning zsh is that it is
so encrusted with these ancient confusions and obscure gotchas and
exceptions and variations and deep mysteries going back to the Chaos
before the World was created.  Supposing that the goal was to rid the
shell of pointless obscurities rather than adding another layer of
safety nets to help one cope with them?

Kill variant syntax! Less is more.  What's that saying: "The code is
perfect, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is
nothing more to take away."  Simplicity and clarity matter. Burn, burn,
burn.

rant rant rant ;-)