On 01/07/2015 07:01 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote: > On 2014-12-11 11:34:20 -0800, Ray Andrews wrote: >> Anyway, knowing that the star replaces the colons cracks it open. > This is a bit old, but... When can an asterisk replace a colon? > For instance, in: > ... > which have one or several missing colons. This is from the > zshcompsys(1) man page. > > If an asterisk can match anything, there may be an ambiguity on > which field some given word will match. > I'm glad I'm not the only guy who is puzzled by that. I dunno completion sorta works, and some people seem to understand it, so I can't say much, but IMHO having a optional field separator is madness. first-name : last-name : job : fav. hockey team : city : vacation spot Ray :*: Carpenter : Montreal Ray : Andrews :*: Vancouver :*: Maui :*: Andrews :*: Maui ... a bit hard to parse, but all 'true' if separators can be omitted. Being just a mortal, this seems more tractable to me: :Ray::Carpenter:Montreal::Maui: I'm Ray, and Montreal is my hockey team ::Andrews:::Vancouver:Maui: I live in Vancouver ::Andrews::::: My last name is Andrews :::Carpenter:::Maui: I'm a carpenter who vacations in Maui :Montreal:: Error! Not enough colons, there must be seven.