zsh-workers
From: Oliver Kiddle <opk@zsh.org>
To: Austin Traver <austintraver@icloud.com>
Cc: zsh-workers@zsh.org
Subject: Re: I'd like to help maintain the Zsh Web Page
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 02:02:22 +0200	[thread overview]

Austin Traver wrote:
> My name is Austin. I'm a graduate student in the United States, studying
> computer science. I have been Zsh for a few years now, and I've become quite
> passionate about it, sharing [1]my knowledge so far with others along the way.
>
> I'd like to help maintain the Zsh site, as I think reliable, usable
> documentation plays a vital role in understanding software.
>
> Is there any job, big or small, that you could think of, for me?

Aside from the documentation, the design, structure, layout and
content of the web pages could do with updating, modernising and being
maintained over the longer term.

It'd be quite nice to unify what we have at https://www.zsh.org/ with
http://zsh.sourceforge.net/ so that sourceforge is just a mirror of the
other URL and preserving content from both.

The current site is done in old hand-written HTML that hasn't
changed much ever. It is probably best to keep the design relatively
conservative - the 1995-era design looks less bad now than a 2005 one
would. Preferably no cookies or required JavaScript but a touch of CSS
wouldn't do much harm. A markdown based static templating preprocessor
such as jekyll would be fine if it can run on the existing hosting
without complicated install procedures. Currently, there is a certain
amount of duplicated boiler-plate HTML.

If you or whoever else is interested, I can point you in the direction
of relevant git repositories where the existing content sits.

Oliver