zsh-workers
* Strange occurrence
@ 1998-07-08 22:48 Pedroja, Daniel A
From: Pedroja, Daniel A @ 1998-07-08 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'zsh-workers@math.gatech.edu'

Greetings,

Something strange is happening when I run zsh.  I am running zsh under
Solaris 2.6 with the Common Desktop Environment (CDE) on a Sparc 20.  If
I open a Terminal window and run an external command (make is a good
example), the command will terminate with a segmenation fault.  However,
if in the same Terminal window, I rlogin to the same host and run the
command, it executes correctly.

Has this behavior been previously reported?  I would appreciate any info
you could give me.

Thanks,

Dan Pedroja

* Re: Strange occurrence
@ 1998-07-09  3:40 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1998-07-09  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'zsh-workers@math.gatech.edu', Pedroja, Daniel A

On Jul 8,  3:48pm, Pedroja, Daniel A wrote:
> IF I open a Terminal window and run an external command (make is a good
> example), the command will terminate with a segmenation fault.  However,
> if in the same Terminal window, I rlogin to the same host and run the
> command, it executes correctly.

This is a classic shared library failure.  Chances are that your login shell
is setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH or otherwise initializing the shared library
search locations, but that the init file (e.g. ~/.zlogin) that performs this
task is not being executed when you start other shells.

It's best to move such initialization code to ~/.zshenv, which is executed
by every zsh that you start.