On Linux at least, non-straightforward characters are encoded with the \NNN notation in /etc/mtab, with NNN being the octal ASCII code of the character. Our current umount completer does not handle it. # mkdir /mnt/mount\ point\[\\ # mount --bind /tmp /mnt/mount\ point\[\\ # umount /mnt/mount yields # umount /mnt/mount\\040point\[\\134 The enclosed patch takes care of the problem by unescaping octal sequences. Please note that I've assumed that all unices escape spaces and other unprintable characters this way. If it's not the case, then the mp_tmp and dev_tmp assignments should be moved to the Linux branch of the case. Can anyone confirm other unices behavior? Phil. Changelog entry: 2005-01-31 Philippe Troin * Completion/Unix/Command/_mount: Unescape mtab octal sequences.