zsh-workers
* (Off-topic) Recommend emacs library for git?
@ 2013-04-29 21:38 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2013-04-29 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

The emacs VC mode claims to support git, but vc-git.el isn't included in
any emacs install I've checked.

Google search isn't turning up vc-git more recent than 2006, which seems a
bit of a stretch.  I've seen reference to magit but with the caveat that it
is best "if you don't need to use any other version control system" (which
I do need to do).

I'd like to be able to continue to use e.g C-x v g for annotate, etc., if
feasible.  Suggestions?

* Re: (Off-topic) Recommend emacs library for git?
@ 2013-04-29 22:27 ` İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2013-04-29 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: zsh-workers

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@brasslantern.com>wrote:

> The emacs VC mode claims to support git, but vc-git.el isn't included in
> any emacs install I've checked.
>
> Google search isn't turning up vc-git more recent than 2006, which seems a
> bit of a stretch.  I've seen reference to magit but with the caveat that it
> is best "if you don't need to use any other version control system" (which
> I do need to do).
>
> I'd like to be able to continue to use e.g C-x v g for annotate, etc., if
> feasible.  Suggestions?

magit ( http://magit.github.io/magit/ ) might be useful.

ismail

* Re: (Off-topic) Recommend emacs library for git?
@ 2013-04-30 11:56 ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2013-04-30 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> writes:

> The emacs VC mode claims to support git, but vc-git.el isn't included in
> any emacs install I've checked.

vc-git is included in Emacs 24.3.

> Google search isn't turning up vc-git more recent than 2006, which seems a
> bit of a stretch.  I've seen reference to magit but with the caveat that it
> is best "if you don't need to use any other version control system" (which
> I do need to do).

You still want magit.  Yes, it works with Git only, but you can keep
using whatever you want for other SCM.

> I'd like to be able to continue to use e.g C-x v g for annotate, etc., if
> feasible.  Suggestions?

You can use both together (e.g. annotate with vc-git and commit with magit).

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org