zsh-workers
From: Greg Klanderman <gak@klanderman.net>
To: zsh-workers@zsh.org
Subject: Re: New Zsh Logo
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 11:19:33 -0500	[thread overview]

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 11:31 PM Matthew Martin <phy1729@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 08:02:06PM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
>> > Here are the three current choices --- not quite final, but definitely
>> > getting there. Looks like variant 3 is our favourite at the moment.

>> The rest of this may be too nit picky.

I guess if we're picking nits I might as well jump in.. :-)

> FWIW if not to be to nit picky myself, why '%'? Historically '%' was the default
> csh prompt.  Whereas '$' was the Bourne shell default for users.  '>' was the
> default secondary prompt(not just a dos prompt). Zsh is more Bourne then csh.
> In reality prompt can be set to almost anything.

Of course, personally I use '|', but given the zsh default is '%',
that seems like the right choice here.

> I also feel that there should be a break between the right vertical bar
> and the "H".

Agreed, I think that would look better, either square or rounded to
match V1/V2/V3.

> If 'Z' and 'H'(V3) are going to be rounded shouldn't 'S' be rounded too?

I hadn't noticed that, good catch!

A few additional nits:

reduce excess space between the letters in V1/V2

in all three the "S" is a few pixels too tall (at the top; baseline is
right)

the "H" looks much too narrow to me in all three, but that seems to be
mostly an optical illusion, as it is the same width as the 'S', though
both are narrower than the 'Z' (I only looked closely at V3).
Possibly adding a break between the top right of the 'H' and the right
vertical bar as suggested above will help?

I agree with Matthew that the bar in the percent sign should be at a
steeper angle, and comparable thickness to the circles.

already mentioned above, but a little more space needed between '%'
and '_' in V1/V3; V2 is good.

> As far as the overall design, very nice. Nice work.

Yes, they really look great!

Greg