zsh-workers
* Logo
@ 2019-06-04 23:37 Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-04 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I was wondering if you would be interested in a free, no strings attached
logo. FWIW I was the art director for the Bash logo.

Thanks

Regards,

Justin Dorfman
@jdorfman <http://www.twitter.com/jdorfman>

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-04 23:56 ` Jérémie Roquet
From: Jérémie Roquet @ 2019-06-04 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

Hi Justin,

Le mer. 5 juin 2019 à 01:37, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> a écrit :
> I was wondering if you would be interested in a free, no strings attached
> logo. FWIW I was the art director for the Bash logo.

I'm just a long time zsh user and lurker here, but I'd definitely have
a zsh sticker on my laptop if it had a logo as nice as the bash logo
:)

AFAIK, zsh doesn't have one currently; the closest to an actual logo
I've found is the favicon of zsh.org

Best regards,

--
Jérémie

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-05  0:09   ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-05  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémie Roquet; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

Yeah I mean with macOS switching to Zsh by default I think having a proper
identity would be great. I see people using the "oh my zsh" logo as the
"Zsh" logo which isn't correct.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 4:56 PM Jérémie Roquet <jroquet@arkanosis.net> wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> Le mer. 5 juin 2019 à 01:37, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
> > I was wondering if you would be interested in a free, no strings attached
> > logo. FWIW I was the art director for the Bash logo.
>
> I'm just a long time zsh user and lurker here, but I'd definitely have
> a zsh sticker on my laptop if it had a logo as nice as the bash logo
> :)
>
> AFAIK, zsh doesn't have one currently; the closest to an actual logo
> I've found is the favicon of zsh.org
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Jérémie

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-05  0:13     ` Andrew J. Rech
From: Andrew J. Rech @ 2019-06-05  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Dorfman; +Cc: Jérémie Roquet, Zsh Hackers' List

Same category of user here as Jérémie. I would love to see this. Thank you for offering.

> On Jun 4, 2019, at 20:09, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah I mean with macOS switching to Zsh by default I think having a proper
> identity would be great. I see people using the "oh my zsh" logo as the
> "Zsh" logo which isn't correct.
>
> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>
> Regards,
>
> Justin Dorfman
> @jdorfman <http://www.twitter.com/jdorfman>
>

> On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 4:56 PM Jérémie Roquet <jroquet@arkanosis.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Justin,
>>
>> Le mer. 5 juin 2019 à 01:37, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> a
>> écrit :
>>> I was wondering if you would be interested in a free, no strings attached
>>> logo. FWIW I was the art director for the Bash logo.
>>
>> I'm just a long time zsh user and lurker here, but I'd definitely have
>> a zsh sticker on my laptop if it had a logo as nice as the bash logo
>> :)
>>
>> AFAIK, zsh doesn't have one currently; the closest to an actual logo
>> I've found is the favicon of zsh.org
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> --
>> Jérémie

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-05  0:43       ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-05  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew J. Rech; +Cc: Jérémie Roquet, Zsh Hackers' List

My pleasure, from my experience it is best to get buy-in and a sign off
from a core maintainer. Until then I'll hold.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 5:13 PM Andrew J. Rech <rech@rech.io> wrote:

> Same category of user here as Jérémie. I would love to see this. Thank you
> for offering.
>
> > On Jun 4, 2019, at 20:09, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah I mean with macOS switching to Zsh by default I think having a
> proper
> > identity would be great. I see people using the "oh my zsh" logo as the
> > "Zsh" logo which isn't correct.
> >
> > ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Justin Dorfman
> > @jdorfman <http://www.twitter.com/jdorfman>
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 4:56 PM Jérémie Roquet <jroquet@arkanosis.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Justin,

> attached
> >>
> >> I'm just a long time zsh user and lurker here, but I'd definitely have
> >> a zsh sticker on my laptop if it had a logo as nice as the bash logo
> >> :)
> >>
> >> AFAIK, zsh doesn't have one currently; the closest to an actual logo
> >> I've found is the favicon of zsh.org
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jérémie

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-05  7:56 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2019-06-05  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: zsh-workers

Justin Dorfman wrote:
> I was wondering if you would be interested in a free, no strings attached
> logo. FWIW I was the art director for the Bash logo.

Definitely. That would be great.

J??r??mie Roquet wrote:
> AFAIK, zsh doesn't have one currently; the closest to an actual logo
> I've found is the favicon of zsh.org

I'm afraid the favicon is about the limit of my artistic abilities using
xpaint 20 years ago. A big Z is not particularly original but works
fairly well as a favicon. I always thought the old wizard image from the
website was very appropriate for zsh but he's shrunk a lot with every
monitor upgrade over the years.

> I see people using the "oh my zsh" logo as the "Zsh" logo which isn't correct.

It's not correct in more ways than one given that it even renders the
shell prompt as a Bourne style "$" rather than the zsh default of "%".

OliverL

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-05 15:52   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-06-05 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: justindorfman

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 12:57 AM Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Justin Dorfman wrote:
> > I was wondering if you would be interested in a free, no strings attached
> > logo. FWIW I was the art director for the Bash logo.
>
> Definitely. That would be great.

Agree.  At the risk of being pushy, maybe a few options to choose from?

> > I see people using the "oh my zsh" logo as the "Zsh" logo which isn't correct.
>
> It's not correct in more ways than one

In related news, nic.sh responds:
Z is not a valid domain name for .sh. It is too short. Minimum 2 chars.

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-05 16:50     ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-05 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

@Oliver you give me the go ahead and I'll make it happen.

@Bart
> Agree.  At the risk of being pushy, maybe a few options to choose from?

Not pushy at all. That is what we did for the bash logo:
https://opensource.com/article/16/12/bash-logo-community

The logo will belong to the Zsh community, they should help choose IMO.

@ 2019-06-06 20:12       ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2019-06-06 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers, Justin Dorfman

On Wed, 2019-06-05 at 09:50 -0700, Justin Dorfman wrote:
> @Oliver you give me the go ahead and I'll make it happen.
>
> @Bart
> > Agree.  At the risk of being pushy, maybe a few options to choose from?
>
> Not pushy at all. That is what we did for the bash logo:
> https://opensource.com/article/16/12/bash-logo-community
>
> The logo will belong to the Zsh community, they should help choose IMO.

I think you can assume we're all receptive and you should go ahead.

(I'm assuming someone is going to be geared up enough actually to update
the website etc. when the time comes...)

Thank you
pws

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-07  0:26         ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-07  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

Sounds good Peter. I'll be in touch.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 1:12 PM Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-06-05 at 09:50 -0700, Justin Dorfman wrote:
> > @Oliver you give me the go ahead and I'll make it happen.
> >
> > @Bart
> > > Agree.  At the risk of being pushy, maybe a few options to choose from?
> >
> > Not pushy at all. That is what we did for the bash logo:
> > https://opensource.com/article/16/12/bash-logo-community
> >
> > The logo will belong to the Zsh community, they should help choose IMO.
>
> I think you can assume we're all receptive and you should go ahead.
>
> (I'm assuming someone is going to be geared up enough actually to update
> the website etc. when the time comes...)
>
> Thank you
> pws

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-14 20:55           ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-14 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

Hey everyone,

Got an update: my employer said they will sponsor the design! I assigned a
Trello task to our design team and will follow up with them next week. At
the moment I don't have an ETA but I will keep everyone posted once I have
more info. =)

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 5:26 PM Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sounds good Peter. I'll be in touch.
>
> Regards,
>
> Justin Dorfman
> @jdorfman <http://www.twitter.com/jdorfman>
>

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 1:12 PM Peter Stephenson <
> p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2019-06-05 at 09:50 -0700, Justin Dorfman wrote:
>> > @Oliver you give me the go ahead and I'll make it happen.
>> >
>> > @Bart
>> from?
>> >
>> > Not pushy at all. That is what we did for the bash logo:
>> > https://opensource.com/article/16/12/bash-logo-community
>> >
>> > The logo will belong to the Zsh community, they should help choose IMO.
>>
>> I think you can assume we're all receptive and you should go ahead.
>>
>> (I'm assuming someone is going to be geared up enough actually to update
>> the website etc. when the time comes...)
>>
>> Thank you
>> pws

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-15  9:39             ` Jérémie Roquet
       [not found]               ` <CAEjOAVooT9+U8Cp4FrU7Qo95-AzzyFuF-XxDMGFVWuCC5z-7Qg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jérémie Roquet @ 2019-06-15  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

Hi Justin,

Le ven. 14 juin 2019 à 22:56, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> a écrit :
> Got an update: my employer said they will sponsor the design! I assigned a
> Trello task to our design team and will follow up with them next week. At
> the moment I don't have an ETA but I will keep everyone posted once I have
> more info. =)

Awesome news, thank you!

--
Jérémie

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-27 17:13               ` Justin Dorfman
       [not found]               ` <CAEjOAVooT9+U8Cp4FrU7Qo95-AzzyFuF-XxDMGFVWuCC5z-7Qg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-27 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Hackers' List

Hey all,

Got some initial design ideas in and wanted to share the progress. Before
moving forward I would love to get some input from you all.

https://cl.ly/0e2cdb6af228

Apologies if anyone got multiple messages. The other 2 messages
bounced *"**fatal:
Sorry, I don't accept messages larger than 80000 bytes (#5.2.3)"* which is
why I added a link to the graphic instead.

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 2:33 AM Jérémie Roquet <jroquet@arkanosis.net>
wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> Le ven. 14 juin 2019 à 22:56, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
> > Got an update: my employer said they will sponsor the design! I assigned
> > Trello task to our design team and will follow up with them next week. At
> > the moment I don't have an ETA but I will keep everyone posted once I
> have
> > more info. =)
>
> Awesome news, thank you!
>
> --
> Jérémie

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-27 20:23                 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-06-27 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

My take ...

For idea #1, the stylized Z% looks too flowing/serif-y to go with the
typewriter font "sh".  They end up looking like separate pieces rather
than a unified logo.  Either the % should be less loopy or something
else should be done with the "sh".  Also the baseline of the "sh"
looks too low, perhaps push it up just a bit so that the center line
of the "s" aligns with the center of the lower circle of the %.

I'm not excited by idea #2.  It might be better if the break in each
circle were above the horizontal lines of the Z, rather than below,
but I'm not sure.  Maybe what bothers me is the way things sort of
bubble outside the "box" defined by the corners of the Z; aside from
the font clash in #1 I like the way its circles fit inside the angles.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 10:14 AM Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Got some initial design ideas in and wanted to share the progress. Before
> moving forward I would love to get some input from you all.
>
> https://cl.ly/0e2cdb6af228
>
> Apologies if anyone got multiple messages. The other 2 messages
> bounced *"**fatal:
> Sorry, I don't accept messages larger than 80000 bytes (#5.2.3)"* which is
> why I added a link to the graphic instead.
>
> Regards,
>
> Justin Dorfman
> @jdorfman <http://www.twitter.com/jdorfman>
>

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 2:33 AM Jérémie Roquet <jroquet@arkanosis.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Justin,
> >
> > Le ven. 14 juin 2019 à 22:56, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> a
> > écrit :
> > > Got an update: my employer said they will sponsor the design! I assigned
> > > Trello task to our design team and will follow up with them next week. At
> > > the moment I don't have an ETA but I will keep everyone posted once I
> > have
> > > more info. =)
> >
> > Awesome news, thank you!
> >
> > --
> > Jérémie

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-27 20:34                   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-06-27 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

One afterthought ...

If the basic theme is to meld Z and % together, perhaps render the Z
in a slightly different shade than the two circles, and match the Z
shade with the "sh" in the first idea.  That would tie the three
letters together more (or so I imagine).

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 1:23 PM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:

> My take ...
>
> For idea #1, the stylized Z% looks too flowing/serif-y to go with the
> typewriter font "sh".  They end up looking like separate pieces rather
> than a unified logo.  Either the % should be less loopy or something
> else should be done with the "sh".  Also the baseline of the "sh"
> looks too low, perhaps push it up just a bit so that the center line
> of the "s" aligns with the center of the lower circle of the %.
>
> I'm not excited by idea #2.  It might be better if the break in each
> circle were above the horizontal lines of the Z, rather than below,
> but I'm not sure.  Maybe what bothers me is the way things sort of
> bubble outside the "box" defined by the corners of the Z; aside from
> the font clash in #1 I like the way its circles fit inside the angles.
>
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 10:14 AM Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Got some initial design ideas in and wanted to share the progress. Before
> > moving forward I would love to get some input from you all.
> >
> > https://cl.ly/0e2cdb6af228
> >
> > Apologies if anyone got multiple messages. The other 2 messages
> > bounced *"**fatal:
> > Sorry, I don't accept messages larger than 80000 bytes (#5.2.3)"* which is
> > why I added a link to the graphic instead.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Justin Dorfman
> > @jdorfman <http://www.twitter.com/jdorfman>
> >

> > On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 2:33 AM Jérémie Roquet <jroquet@arkanosis.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Justin,

> > > have
> > >
> > > Awesome news, thank you!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jérémie

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-27 21:13                 ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2019-06-27 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 at 19:15, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Got some initial design ideas in and wanted to share the progress. Before
> moving forward I would love to get some input from you all.
>
> https://cl.ly/0e2cdb6af228

It's an interesting idea to meld % znd Z (as Bart noted), but in the
idea 1 I was for about 15 seconds reading the log o as "Zosh" and
scratching my head ;)

As for the second idea, I see it quite like a poster-like, i.e.
strong, clear-cut, impressive/influential. This might be the way to
go, however it might be worth noticing that Bash logo isn't like that,
it's more like "calm", maybe even "warm". That said I don't really
like the bash logo, I think it's too simple – it's based on cube, and
I myself created such logo for Zplugin, deliberately within 1 hour (to
have just a snapshot of my unconscious):
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/zdharma/zplugin/master/doc/img/zplugin.png,
and I'm not a graphics talented person.

Out of the 3 versions of the 2nd idea I like the second (the middle
one) the most. As I said the IMO poster-like, strong logo might be the
way to go, however you might evolve it with the observations, who
knows what will be the effect.

--
Sebastian Gniazdowski
News: https://twitter.com/ZdharmaI

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-27 21:35                   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-06-27 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Gniazdowski; +Cc: justindorfman, Zsh Hackers' List

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 2:14 PM Sebastian Gniazdowski
<sgniazdowski@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's an interesting idea to meld % znd Z (as Bart noted), but in the
> idea 1 I was for about 15 seconds reading the log o as "Zosh" and
> scratching my head ;)

Yes, that's another reason for my remark about using a varied color
palette to de-emphasize the "o".

I've been toying with the idea of melding %$# with ZSH but didn't come
up with a good way to illustrate it.  (The % would have to be larger
than $#, etc.)

* Re: Logo
       [not found]               ` <CAEjOAVooT9+U8Cp4FrU7Qo95-AzzyFuF-XxDMGFVWuCC5z-7Qg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-06-27 21:38                 ` Jérémie Roquet
From: Jérémie Roquet @ 2019-06-27 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

HI Justin,

Le jeu. 27 juin 2019 à 18:59, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> a écrit :
> Got some initial design ideas in and wanted to share the progress. Before moving forward I would love to get some input from you all.

I quite like the idea of having the percent symbol in the logo, the
same way there's the dollar symbol in bash's logo.

Like Sebastian, my immediate reaction to the first logo was that it
reads “Zosh” and not “Zsh” — which in my case in probably reinforced
by the choice of colors, because in France there's a very well known
telephony brand called “Sosh” and it belongs to the “Orange” company
(the color of which, as you can guess, is orange). See
http://sam.web.free.fr/blog/wp-content/uploads/logo-soshorangemobile.jpg

I asked my girlfriend, who is an avid user of Zsh as well but 1) was
not aware what the images were about and 2) didn't know that the
default Zsh prompt is the percent symbol, and she had the exact same
reaction. She red “Zosh” or “percent-sh”, but couldn't figure at all
there was a link with Zsh.

I also agree with Bart's remark on the font mismatch — tough I only
realized that after reading his message.

I like the second logo better, especially the second variant. To me,
it looks like a mix of the Z of Zsh, the percent symbol and a PCB.
Very cool. If feels like it was only the “small” version of a more
complete logo, though, like the one you use as an icon rather than the
one you use on a website header.

Thanks a lot!

--
Jérémie

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-27 22:51                   ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2019-06-27 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman, Zsh Hackers' List

Sebastian Gniazdowski wrote:
> It's an interesting idea to meld % znd Z (as Bart noted), but in the
> idea 1 I was for about 15 seconds reading the log o as "Zosh" and
> scratching my head ;)

I had the same thought with the first idea - it reading as "Zosh". The
"o" part of the % is no smaller than the s. Given that a prompt is more
often rendered in a fixed width font, I wonder if it would work better
with a typewriter font used as the basis of the % and the Z elements of
the merged character matching the "sh" as far as possible.

Idea 2 looks good. The first two are more striking but the third perhaps
is more reminiscent of a terminal window. The % is less apparent than
with idea 1, however - I suspect many people wouldn't even make the
connection and would only see it as a Z with some circles. The
association between zsh and a default prompt is probably less strong
than it is for bash to begin with - zsh users being more likely to
customise things.

> As for the second idea, I see it quite like a poster-like, i.e.
> strong, clear-cut, impressive/influential. This might be the way to
> go, however it might be worth noticing that Bash logo isn't like that,
> it's more like "calm", maybe even "warm". That said I don't really

A stronger logo might better suit zsh. I do like the bash logo, but
wouldn't want anything too similar for zsh.

> Out of the 3 versions of the 2nd idea I like the second (the middle
> one) the most. As I said the IMO poster-like, strong logo might be the
> way to go, however you might evolve it with the observations, who
> knows what will be the effect.

I'd agree with this.

I like the white shadow on the diagonal and the diamond background shape
in the middle one but I prefer the orange on black of the third to the
black on orange.

Thanks Justin!

Oliver

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-27 23:20                     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-06-27 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: justindorfman, Zsh Hackers' List

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 3:52 PM Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I like the white shadow on the diagonal and the diamond background shape
> in the middle one but I prefer the orange on black of the third to the
> black on orange.

Now that you mention it, I'm curious how orange and black got chosen
in the first place?  Is it because zsh was invented at Princeton?

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-28 10:12                       ` Stephane Chazelas
From: Stephane Chazelas @ 2019-06-28 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Oliver Kiddle, justindorfman, Zsh Hackers' List

2019-06-27 16:20:31 -0700, Bart Schaefer:
[...]
> Now that you mention it, I'm curious how orange and black got chosen
> in the first place?  Is it because zsh was invented at Princeton?
[...]

Sorry for throwing a completely unrelated idea late to the
party, but when the idea of a new zsh logo was first mentioned,
one thing that came to my mind was a "ZSH" made with multicolor
lego bricks to reflect the multi-faced, modular nature of zsh
(and it can be shaped any way you want; playdough would also
work there I guess).

Maybe not the best image for a shell as lego bricks may convey
some "building" meaning which do not as directly apply to a
shell as to other tools.

--
Stephane

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-28 19:58                         ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-28 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer, Oliver Kiddle, Justin Dorfman, Zsh Hackers' List

Hey Everyone,

This is amazing feedback. I'm going to wait a few days before going over it
with the designer just in case there is more. From there I will respond to
any questions in one email.

Thank you all.

Regards,

Justin Dorfman
@jdorfman <http://www.twitter.com/jdorfman>

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 3:12 AM Stephane Chazelas <
stephane.chazelas@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2019-06-27 16:20:31 -0700, Bart Schaefer:
> [...]
> > Now that you mention it, I'm curious how orange and black got chosen
> > in the first place?  Is it because zsh was invented at Princeton?
> [...]
>
> Sorry for throwing a completely unrelated idea late to the
> party, but when the idea of a new zsh logo was first mentioned,
> one thing that came to my mind was a "ZSH" made with multicolor
> lego bricks to reflect the multi-faced, modular nature of zsh
> (and it can be shaped any way you want; playdough would also
> work there I guess).
>
> Maybe not the best image for a shell as lego bricks may convey
> some "building" meaning which do not as directly apply to a
> shell as to other tools.
>
> --
> Stephane

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-02 16:54                         ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2019-07-02 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer, Oliver Kiddle, justindorfman, Zsh Hackers' List

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 at 12:13, Stephane Chazelas
<stephane.chazelas@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2019-06-27 16:20:31 -0700, Bart Schaefer:
> [...]
> > Now that you mention it, I'm curious how orange and black got chosen
> > in the first place?  Is it because zsh was invented at Princeton?
> [...]
>
> Sorry for throwing a completely unrelated idea late to the
> party, but when the idea of a new zsh logo was first mentioned,
> one thing that came to my mind was a "ZSH" made with multicolor
> lego bricks to reflect the multi-faced, modular nature of zsh
> (and it can be shaped any way you want; playdough would also
> work there I guess).
>
> Maybe not the best image for a shell as lego bricks may convey
> some "building" meaning which do not as directly apply to a
> shell as to other tools.

I would agree that the lego bricks convey the 'building" meaning,
which to me appears as a "free your mind" sense, which if shared among
other people would be an useful one for Zsh as the message to convey
about itself.

--

@ 2019-07-12  2:45                           ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-07-12  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Gniazdowski; +Cc: Bart Schaefer, Oliver Kiddle, Zsh Hackers' List

Hey Everyone,

I gave our designer the feedback and this is what he came back with
https://cl.ly/aca8f4c2ecab

I think the icons are great, but the wordmarks need work. I've been playing
with different fonts and I'm just not happy yet https://cl.ly/b92d660678b9

Look forward to your feedback.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 9:55 AM Sebastian Gniazdowski <sgniazdowski@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 at 12:13, Stephane Chazelas
> <stephane.chazelas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 2019-06-27 16:20:31 -0700, Bart Schaefer:
> > [...]
> > > Now that you mention it, I'm curious how orange and black got chosen
> > > in the first place?  Is it because zsh was invented at Princeton?
> > [...]
> >
> > Sorry for throwing a completely unrelated idea late to the
> > party, but when the idea of a new zsh logo was first mentioned,
> > one thing that came to my mind was a "ZSH" made with multicolor
> > lego bricks to reflect the multi-faced, modular nature of zsh
> > (and it can be shaped any way you want; playdough would also
> > work there I guess).
> >
> > Maybe not the best image for a shell as lego bricks may convey
> > some "building" meaning which do not as directly apply to a
> > shell as to other tools.
>
> I would agree that the lego bricks convey the 'building" meaning,
> which to me appears as a "free your mind" sense, which if shared among
> other people would be an useful one for Zsh as the message to convey
> about itself.
>

> --
> Sebastian Gniazdowski
> News: https://twitter.com/ZdharmaI
> IRC: https://kiwiirc.com/client/chat.freenode.net:+6697/#zplugin
> Blog: http://zdharma.org

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-12 18:21                             ` Philippe Troin
From: Philippe Troin @ 2019-07-12 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

Justin,

I'll throw in my 2 cents.
First thanks for the work, it looks great.

From all 10 icons in this round, my personal favorite is copy 3.
I like the subdued Z graphic, and the name of the project being clearly
visible.
If I had to change a couple of things, I would try:
 * using lower case instead of small caps: this is the way I think most
   people see the string "zsh" in their daily life.
 * using italic, so that "zsh" slants the same way as the stylized Z,
   giving a sense of forward motion.
 * Maybe I'd try extending the bottom horizontal part of the stylized Z
   and have the string "zsh" or "sh" rendered over this extended bottom
   Z leg.  Scuse' the ASCII graphics and wrong aspect ratio:
      o---,
         /
        /     zsh
       /
       `--------------o

This is what I don't like about some other logos:
 * For logos 6-10, I don't really see "zsh" initially, just "sh".  It
   takes an extra step to think about or see "zsh" in the logo.  Maybe
   making the stylized Z smaller would help here.
 * I think number 4 is too dark/heavy.
 * I don't like the font on number 5, just a personal taste.
 * I don't like the bottom vertical alignment on number 2, it doesn't
   feel natural.
 * In number 1, I think that "zsh" all lower-case would work better
   than the initialed "Zsh", see first bullet above for the rationale.

Thank you again for the great looking logos!

Phil.

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-12 18:46                               ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-07-12 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Troin; +Cc: justindorfman, Zsh hackers list

I'm still not especially excited by the open circles at the ends of the Z
(what are they meant to convey?) but among the first five suggestions in
this round I prefer the color scheme of #2 (the black background).  I
otherwise essentially agree with Phil's comments.

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-12 19:12                             ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2019-07-12 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: Bart Schaefer, Oliver Kiddle, Zsh Hackers' List

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 04:46, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
>
> I gave our designer the feedback and this is what he came back with https://cl.ly/aca8f4c2ecab
>
> I think the icons are great, but the wordmarks need work. I've been playing with different fonts and I'm just not happy yet https://cl.ly/b92d660678b9
>
> Look forward to your feedback.

Great logos. The feedback:
– at the first impression I didn't like the mild colors of logos 1, 3–5
– I liked the second icon-set; the SH in the 2nd logo looks
interesting; it's conveying a message: "SHELL", or even "/bin/sh
descendant" to then draw watcher's attention to the "Z" on the left,
which restores the proper "ZSH" identity; however this is a little
complex and too difficult thinking to the watcher as I think it
doesn't "flow" enough, i.e. the logo is little to rigid,
– out of the both icon sets I like the 2nd and 7th logos the most; I'm
however also not very excited by the circles.

--

@ 2019-07-13 12:01                                 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2019-07-13 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman, Zsh hackers list

Bart wrote:
> I'm still not especially excited by the open circles at the ends of the Z
> (what are they meant to convey?) but among the first five suggestions in
> this round I prefer the color scheme of #2 (the black background).  I
> otherwise essentially agree with Phil's comments.

Going by the labels rather than position, the black background would be
#4, right? I also like that color scheme best. But I also like the white
running along the Z diagonal in #1. I prefer the way #3 fits into the
background to #5.

In principle, I like the way you're going with 6-10 of not duplicating
the Z but can also see Phil's point - it needs to read as "zsh".

Thanks

Oliver

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-13 12:33                               ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2019-07-13 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: Bart Schaefer, Oliver Kiddle, Zsh Hackers' List

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 21:12, Sebastian Gniazdowski
<sgniazdowski@gmail.com> wrote:
> – out of the both icon sets I like the 2nd and 7th logos the most; I'm
> however also not very excited by the circles.

I was counting the logos from left-to right, row by row. By the
(missed) labels, the logos mentioned above are #4 and #7.

--

@ 2019-07-13 13:09                                 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-07-13 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Gniazdowski; +Cc: justindorfman, Oliver Kiddle, Zsh Hackers' List

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019, 5:34 AM Sebastian Gniazdowski <sgniazdowski@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I was counting the logos from left-to right, row by row. By the
> (missed) labels, the logos mentioned above are #4 and #7.

The labels aren't visible when viewing the linked pages on a mobile device,
so I was also using left-to-right position.

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-15 20:56                               ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-07-15 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Troin; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

Hey Phil,

> I'll throw in my 2 cents. First thanks for the work, it looks great.

Sounds good, thanks.

> From all 10 icons in this round, my personal favorite is copy 3. I like
the subdued Z graphic, and the name of the project being clearly visible.

Great noted.

> If I had to change a couple of things, I would try:...
>This is what I don't like about some other logos:...

Noted all of the feedback, will send it over to them. =)

> Thank you again for the great looking logos!

Welcome!

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:21 AM Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> wrote:

> Justin,
>
> I'll throw in my 2 cents.
> First thanks for the work, it looks great.
>
> From all 10 icons in this round, my personal favorite is copy 3.
> I like the subdued Z graphic, and the name of the project being clearly
> visible.
> If I had to change a couple of things, I would try:
>  * using lower case instead of small caps: this is the way I think most
>    people see the string "zsh" in their daily life.
>  * using italic, so that "zsh" slants the same way as the stylized Z,
>    giving a sense of forward motion.
>  * Maybe I'd try extending the bottom horizontal part of the stylized Z
>    and have the string "zsh" or "sh" rendered over this extended bottom
>    Z leg.  Scuse' the ASCII graphics and wrong aspect ratio:
>       o---,
>          /
>         /     zsh
>        /
>        `--------------o
>
> This is what I don't like about some other logos:
>  * For logos 6-10, I don't really see "zsh" initially, just "sh".  It
>    takes an extra step to think about or see "zsh" in the logo.  Maybe
>    making the stylized Z smaller would help here.
>  * I think number 4 is too dark/heavy.
>  * I don't like the font on number 5, just a personal taste.
>  * I don't like the bottom vertical alignment on number 2, it doesn't
>    feel natural.
>  * In number 1, I think that "zsh" all lower-case would work better
>    than the initialed "Zsh", see first bullet above for the rationale.
>
> Thank you again for the great looking logos!
>
> Phil.
>
> On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 19:45 -0700, Justin Dorfman wrote:
> > Hey Everyone,
> >
> > I gave our designer the feedback and this is what he came back with
> > https://cl.ly/aca8f4c2ecab
> >
> > I think the icons are great, but the wordmarks need work. I've been
> > playing
> > with different fonts and I'm just not happy yet
> > https://cl.ly/b92d660678b9
> >
> > Look forward to your feedback.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Justin Dorfman
> > @jdorfman <http://www.twitter.com/jdorfman>
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 9:55 AM Sebastian Gniazdowski <
> > sgniazdowski@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > I would agree that the lego bricks convey the 'building" meaning,
> > > which to me appears as a "free your mind" sense, which if shared
> > > among
> > > other people would be an useful one for Zsh as the message to
> > > convey
> > > about itself.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Sebastian Gniazdowski
> > > News: https://twitter.com/ZdharmaI
> > > IRC: https://kiwiirc.com/client/chat.freenode.net:+6697/#zplugin
> > > Blog: http://zdharma.org

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-15 21:07                                 ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-07-15 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Philippe Troin, Zsh hackers list

Hey Bart,

> I'm still not especially excited by the open circles at the ends of the Z
(what are they meant to convey?)

Noted. TBH nothing, just a design idea they had.

> but among the first five suggestions in this round I prefer the color
scheme of #2 (the black background).  I otherwise essentially agree with
Phil's comments.

Awesome noted.

@everyone else, doing my best to respond. Got a few fires to put out this
week.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:46 AM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
wrote:

> I'm still not especially excited by the open circles at the ends of the Z
> (what are they meant to convey?) but among the first five suggestions in
> this round I prefer the color scheme of #2 (the black background).  I
> otherwise essentially agree with Phil's comments.
>

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019, 11:22 AM Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> wrote:
>
>> Justin,
>>
>> I'll throw in my 2 cents.
>> First thanks for the work, it looks great.
>>
>> From all 10 icons in this round, my personal favorite is copy 3.
>> I like the subdued Z graphic, and the name of the project being clearly
>> visible.
>> If I had to change a couple of things, I would try:
>>  * using lower case instead of small caps: this is the way I think most
>>    people see the string "zsh" in their daily life.
>>  * using italic, so that "zsh" slants the same way as the stylized Z,
>>    giving a sense of forward motion.
>>  * Maybe I'd try extending the bottom horizontal part of the stylized Z
>>    and have the string "zsh" or "sh" rendered over this extended bottom
>>    Z leg.  Scuse' the ASCII graphics and wrong aspect ratio:
>>       o---,
>>          /
>>         /     zsh
>>        /
>>        `--------------o
>>
>> This is what I don't like about some other logos:
>>  * For logos 6-10, I don't really see "zsh" initially, just "sh".  It
>>    takes an extra step to think about or see "zsh" in the logo.  Maybe
>>    making the stylized Z smaller would help here.
>>  * I think number 4 is too dark/heavy.
>>  * I don't like the font on number 5, just a personal taste.
>>  * I don't like the bottom vertical alignment on number 2, it doesn't
>>    feel natural.
>>  * In number 1, I think that "zsh" all lower-case would work better
>>    than the initialed "Zsh", see first bullet above for the rationale.
>>
>> Thank you again for the great looking logos!
>>
>> Phil.
>>
>> On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 19:45 -0700, Justin Dorfman wrote:
>> > Hey Everyone,
>> >
>> > I gave our designer the feedback and this is what he came back with
>> > https://cl.ly/aca8f4c2ecab
>> >
>> > I think the icons are great, but the wordmarks need work. I've been
>> > playing
>> > with different fonts and I'm just not happy yet
>> > https://cl.ly/b92d660678b9
>> >
>> > Look forward to your feedback.
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Justin Dorfman
>> > @jdorfman <http://www.twitter.com/jdorfman>
>> >

>> > On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 9:55 AM Sebastian Gniazdowski <
>> > sgniazdowski@gmail.com>

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-15 21:30                                   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-07-15 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

As a general remark on this process ... it's great to see people's
feedback, but frankly I would nominate PWS and Oliver to have veto
power on the final choice.

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-16  9:55                                   ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2019-07-16  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Dorfman; +Cc: Philippe Troin, Zsh hackers list

Justin Dorfman wrote on Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 14:07:00 -0700:
> Hey Bart,
>
> > I'm still not especially excited by the open circles at the ends of the Z
> (what are they meant to convey?)
>
> Noted. TBH nothing, just a design idea they had.

The circles might have been intended to get the effect of a "Z" and a "%" set
on top of each other [1], I assume?  Right now it just looks like a
Z-with-circles, since the entire circle-Z-circle is a single color.

(I'd love to see a mockup involving a %-on-top-of-Z.  In fact, maybe take this
further: the logo could be "zsh" underlaid under a muted "percent sign, space,
terminal cursor" three-character sequence — if you can figure out a way to
represent that graphically.)

Cheers,

Daniel

[1] See attachment for an example.  (Is there an in-browser TeX renderer website?)

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-16 10:05                                     ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2019-07-16 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Dorfman; +Cc: Philippe Troin, Zsh hackers list

Daniel Shahaf wrote on Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 09:55:45 +0000:
> [1] See attachment

The attachment was stripped, so it's here: https://home.apache.org/~danielsh/stdin.ps

or just run «tex /dev/stdin <<<'~\rlap{Z}\%\bye'» locally, if you have tex(1).

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-19 20:15                                       ` Justin Dorfman
                                                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-07-19 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Shahaf; +Cc: Philippe Troin, Zsh hackers list

@Bart,

> I'm still not especially excited by the open circles at the ends of the Z
(what are they meant to convey?)

I totally read and answered that wrong and yes Daniel assumed right.

> As a general remark on this process ... it's great to see people's
feedback, but frankly I would nominate PWS and Oliver to have veto power on
the final choice.

Yeah I'm pretty much tapped out on request to StackShare's design team.

@Daniel

Is this what you were trying to send?
https://cl.ly/d138a6592116/Image%202019-07-19%20at%2012.58.49%20PM.png

@Oliver

#4, right? I also like that color scheme best.

Correct

> I prefer the way #3 fits into the background to #5.

I agree it looks cleaner

> In principle, I like the way you're going with 6-10 of not duplicating
the Z but can also see Phil's point - it needs to read as "zsh".

What if I redo that, with "Zsh" next to all? If you and Phil think they are
good to go for the community vote, I can then start setting that up.

@Everyone Thanks for everyone's time & patience during this process. We are
almost there!

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 3:05 AM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>
wrote:

> Daniel Shahaf wrote on Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 09:55:45 +0000:
> > [1] See attachment
>
> The attachment was stripped, so it's here:
> https://home.apache.org/~danielsh/stdin.ps
>
> or just run «tex /dev/stdin <<<'~\rlap{Z}\%\bye'» locally, if you have
> tex(1).

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-19 21:07                                         ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2019-07-19 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Dorfman; +Cc: Philippe Troin, Zsh hackers list

Justin Dorfman wrote on Fri, 19 Jul 2019 20:16 +00:00:
> @Daniel
>
> Is this what you were trying to send?
> https://cl.ly/d138a6592116/Image%202019-07-19%20at%2012.58.49%20PM.png

Yes.  In that particular font the diagonal strokes of "%" and "Z" don't
coincide — I didn't have time to look up a font in which they did — but I
hope the point was illustrated well enough.

Cheers,

Daniel

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-19 21:14                                           ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-07-19 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Shahaf; +Cc: Justin Dorfman, Philippe Troin, Zsh hackers list

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 2:08 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:

> Justin Dorfman wrote on Fri, 19 Jul 2019 20:16 +00:00:
> > @Daniel
> >
> > Is this what you were trying to send?
> > https://cl.ly/d138a6592116/Image%202019-07-19%20at%2012.58.49%20PM.png
>
> Yes.  In that particular font the diagonal strokes of "%" and "Z" don't
> coincide — I didn't have time to look up a font in which they did — but I
> hope the point was illustrated well enough.

I just wanted to point out that this is describing something very
similar to one of the options in the FIRST round of samples, about
which I said at the time:

>> If the basic theme is to meld Z and % together, perhaps render the Z
>> in a slightly different shade than the two circles, and match the Z
>> shade with the "sh" in the first idea.

I can't point to the image because the URL has been re-used to expose
the second round, so the first-round images are lost.

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-19 21:17                                         ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-07-19 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Dorfman; +Cc: Daniel Shahaf, Philippe Troin, Zsh hackers list

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 1:15 PM Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> wrote:

> What if I redo that, with "Zsh" next to all? If you and Phil think they are
> good to go for the community vote, I can then start setting that up.

I have to call halt here.  How did Daniel and Phil become the arbiters
of whether the community should vote?

> @Everyone Thanks for everyone's time & patience during this process. We are
> almost there!

I think this is overly optimistic.

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-19 21:30                                           ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2019-07-19 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer, Justin Dorfman; +Cc: Philippe Troin, Zsh hackers list

Bart Schaefer wrote on Fri, 19 Jul 2019 21:18 +00:00:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 1:15 PM Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What if I redo that, with "Zsh" next to all? If you and Phil think they are
> > good to go for the community vote, I can then start setting that up.
>
> I have to call halt here.  How did Daniel and Phil become the arbiters
> of whether the community should vote?

For avoidance of doubt: I did not ask to be the arbiter, I do not wish
to be the arbiter, I will not accept arbitership if offered to me, and
for whatever it's worth, I don't even know whether or not Justin's
second-person pronoun referred to me.

(And, Bart, I don't think you were implying otherwise; nevertheless,
I wanted to set the record straight and get on with my day.)

Cheers,

Daniel

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-19 21:33                                             ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-07-19 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Shahaf; +Cc: Justin Dorfman, Philippe Troin, Zsh hackers list

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 2:30 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:

> for whatever it's worth, I don't even know whether or not Justin's
> second-person pronoun referred to me.

True, it could have meant you (Daniel), me, and Oliver collectively.

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-07-20  8:58                                         ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2019-07-20  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

Justin Dorfman wrote:
> @Bart,
> > As a general remark on this process ... it's great to see people's
> > feedback, but frankly I would nominate PWS and Oliver to have veto power on

If we're granting such powers, it would be remiss not to also nominate Bart.

> @Oliver
> > In principle, I like the way you're going with 6-10 of not duplicating
> > the Z but can also see Phil's point - it needs to read as "zsh".
>
> What if I redo that, with "Zsh" next to all?

I think you've perhaps misunderstood me. By 'it needs to READ as "zsh"',
what I mean is that someone glancing at the logo as a whole needs to see
"zsh" - not "Zzsh" or "sh". I wasn't dismissing the approach in 6-10. If
anything, I prefer it. I think other people mentioned ideas for bringing
it more together like extending the leg of the Z under the sh. Or maybe
a cursor following the % under the sh. In 6 and 7, it helps that the
font for "SH" is more similar but slightly more slant may be better.
While I like 7, the background has forced more distance to the "SH".

With "Zsh" next to the logo as in 1,3-5, it becomes more about
separation. I'd be interested to see what 3 looks like in 4 colours.

Oliver