zsh-workers
* aix broken?
@ 1995-11-28  1:35 ?
From: ? @ 1995-11-28  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Greetings. I find myself working on an aix box (rs6000, 4.1.3) these days.

When I run zsh 2.5.3, it will unexpectedly segmentation fault at
seemingly innocuous points. For example, whenever I attempt to cd to
/tom, a local directory on my machine, it segmentation faults.

zsh 2.6.12 doesn't segmentation fault, but its tty interface is
broken. In particular, it forgets what <backspace> means, and it
doesn't repaint the line correctly after a, for example, ^a^k.

I'm used to running 2.5.3 on solaris 2.3, where zsh works
beautifully. My settings are

    setopt APPEND_HISTORY       # don't overwrite the history file
    setopt HIST_NO_STORE        # don't store "fc" commands
    setopt HIST_IGNORE_DUPS
setopt AUTO_CD          # don't require "cd"
setopt AUTO_NAME_DIRS   # terse directory names
setopt CORRECT          # correct spelling of commands
setopt EXTENDED_GLOB    # treat #, ~, and ^ special
setopt GLOB_DOTS                # turn off requireing "."'s
setopt INTERACTIVE_COMMENTS     # allow comments
setopt LIST_TYPES               # trailing @ or / or *
setopt NO_CLOBBER
setopt RCQUOTES         # allow 'who''s' as well as 'who'\''s'
setopt SH_WORD_SPLIT    # parameter values are  split  into  separate  words

Thanks very much for any help you may provide.

* Re: aix broken?
@ 1995-11-28 11:54 ` Jos Backus
From: Jos Backus @ 1995-11-28 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ?; +Cc: zsh-workers

In message <9511280135.AA26654@naha.stl.ibm.com> you wrote:
>zsh 2.6.12 doesn't segmentation fault, but its tty interface is
>broken. In particular, it forgets what <backspace> means, and it
>doesn't repaint the line correctly after a, for example, ^a^k.

Try relinking with the curses library. (In Src, 'rm zsh', change '-ltermcap'
to '-lcurses' in Makefile, 'make'). That will fix it.

Jos
--
Jos Backus           _/  _/_/_/    Communications Engineering & Projects
                    _/  _/   _/                       Oce-Nederland B.V.

* Re: aix broken?
@ 1995-11-28 14:44   ` Richard Coleman
From: Richard Coleman @ 1995-11-28 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

> >zsh 2.6.12 doesn't segmentation fault, but its tty interface is
> >broken. In particular, it forgets what <backspace> means, and it
> >doesn't repaint the line correctly after a, for example, ^a^k.
>
> Try relinking with the curses library. (In Src, 'rm zsh', change '-ltermcap'
> to '-lcurses' in Makefile, 'make'). That will fix it.

Why does ibm (and sco) always have to make life hard for programmers?

Since zsh appears to link ok with termcap, I'm not sure how to detect what
to do in configure.  I could make a specific check for aix in configure,
but I hate to do that unless nothing else works.  What have they done
to the termcap library to break this?

I wonder if this type of problem is going to get worse.  Will we
eventually have to rewrite the terminal interface of zsh to use curses
or terminfo, rather than termcap ?

rc

* Re: aix broken?
@ 1995-11-28 16:17 ` Clinton Bunch
From: Clinton Bunch @ 1995-11-28 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

(?) wrote:

> Greetings. I find myself working on an aix box (rs6000, 4.1.3) these days.
>
> When I run zsh 2.5.3, it will unexpectedly segmentation fault at
> seemingly innocuous points. For example, whenever I attempt to cd to
> /tom, a local directory on my machine, it segmentation faults.
>
> zsh 2.6.12 doesn't segmentation fault, but its tty interface is
> broken. In particular, it forgets what <backspace> means, and it
> doesn't repaint the line correctly after a, for example, ^a^k.

	Must be new in 2.6-b12 or AIX 4.1.3, because I'm running 2.6-b11
on AIX 3.2.5 and haven't run into a bug yet.  (I've used 2.5.3, 2.6-b10,
& 2.6-b11 for a total of about 5 mo.)
	And now we know why so many configure scripts check specifically
for AIX.
	Clinton

* Re: aix broken?
@ 1995-11-28 17:00   ` Jos Backus
From: Jos Backus @ 1995-11-28 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Clinton Bunch

In message <30BB3612.41C6@uoknor.edu> you wrote:
[zsh 2.6-b12 misbehaving under AIX]
>	Must be new in 2.6-b12 or AIX 4.1.3, because I'm running 2.6-b11
>on AIX 3.2.5 and haven't run into a bug yet.  (I've used 2.5.3, 2.6-b10,
>& 2.6-b11 for a total of about 5 mo.)
>	And now we know why so many configure scripts check specifically
>for AIX.

I don't think b12 broke this, as it is only 'broken' with some terminal types.
Works just fine in my Sun shelltool when logged into our AIX system, but
breaks when using IBM's vt220 emulator included with OS/2 TCP/IP. Guess how my
colleagues found out I installed the version :)

Jos
--

@ 1995-11-28 18:09   ` ?
From: ? @ 1995-11-28 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jos; +Cc: tomh, zsh-workers

> Cc: zsh-workers@math.gatech.edu
> Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 12:54:40 +0100
> From: Jos Backus <jos@oce.nl>
>

> In message <9511280135.AA26654@naha.stl.ibm.com> you wrote:
> >zsh 2.6.12 doesn't segmentation fault, but its tty interface is
> >broken. In particular, it forgets what <backspace> means, and it
> >doesn't repaint the line correctly after a, for example, ^a^k.
>
> Try relinking with the curses library. (In Src, 'rm zsh', change '-ltermcap'
> to '-lcurses' in Makefile, 'make'). That will fix it.

Thank-you. That did the trick.