zsh-workers
* Error in zsh.texi and zshexpn.man
@ 1996-07-12 15:38 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1996-07-12 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

*** zshexpn.man.0	Fri Jun 28 06:48:40 1996
--- zshexpn.man	Fri Jul 12 08:35:45 1996
***************
*** 78,84 ****
  If an alias exists by that name, the word
  is replaced with the text of the alias.
  .PP
! Filename expansion is performed on the right hand side of a parameter
  assignment, including those appearing after commands of the
  \fBtypeset\fR family.  In this case, the right hand side will be treated
  as a colon-separated list in the manner of \fBPATH\fR so that a ~ or an
--- 78,85 ----
  If an alias exists by that name, the word
  is replaced with the text of the alias.
  .PP
! When the \fBGLOB_ASSIGN\P option is set,
! filename expansion is performed on the right hand side of a parameter
  assignment, including those appearing after commands of the
  \fBtypeset\fR family.  In this case, the right hand side will be treated
  as a colon-separated list in the manner of \fBPATH\fR so that a ~ or an
*** zsh.texi.0	Tue Jul  9 19:48:47 1996
--- zsh.texi	Fri Jul 12 08:35:13 1996
***************
*** 883,889 ****
  that name, the word is replaced with the text of the alias.

  @noindent
! Filename expansion is performed on the right hand side of a parameter
  assignment, including those appearing after commands of the @code{typeset}
  family.  In this case, the right hand side will be treated as a
  @w{colon-separated} list in the manner of @code{PATH} so that a @code{~} or
--- 883,891 ----

! @pindex GLOB_ASSIGN, use of
! When the @code{GLOB_ASSIGN} option is set,

--
Bart Schaefer                             Brass Lantern Enterprises
http://www.well.com/user/barts            http://www.nbn.com/people/lantern

New male in /home/schaefer:
>N  2 Justin William Schaefer  Sat May 11 03:43  53/4040  "Happy Birthday"

* Re: Error in zsh.texi and zshexpn.man
@ 1996-07-12 15:53 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1996-07-12 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

No, the manual is not wrong.  Filename expansion is different from filename
generation (which is also called globbing).  Filename expansion is always
performed on the right hand side of assignments and this behaviour is
compatible with other shell and POSIX.  GLOB_ASSIGN is not mentioned here
and I not not think it should be mentined at all.  It id documented in the
zshoptions page but it is really a _very_ deprecated option and it will
surely be removed sometime since it introduces unpredictable ambiguity into
the assignment (when the glob result in one word, the variable is assigned
as a scalar otherwise it is assigned as an array, which can cause
mysterious problems).

Zoltan

* Re: Error in zsh.texi and zshexpn.man
@ 1996-07-12 16:37   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1996-07-12 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoltan Hidvegi; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Jul 12,  5:53pm, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
} Subject: Re: Error in zsh.texi and zshexpn.man
}
} No, the manual is not wrong.  Filename expansion is different from filename
} generation (which is also called globbing).

Ah.  I misread the GLOB_ASSIGN section in zshparam.man.  Should have tried
a few more combinations first, I guess.