zsh-workers
* unique partial completion
@ 1997-05-30 12:53 Anthony Iano-Fletcher
From: Anthony Iano-Fletcher @ 1997-05-30 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-workers

Hi All,

In zsh version 3.1.* I am not warned about any incomplete completions.
For example,

	$ ./zsh -f
	argo% cd zsh-3.1.1/Src/Zle
	argo% ls mo<TAB>

This last completes the command line to:

	argo% ls mod

as it should (there are lots of mod* files) but there are no beeps
or completion lists to indicate that this completion is incomplete.
Even with 'setopt auto_list list_beep' I dont get a warning or a
completion list.  When I hit <TAB> for the second time, I now get
the beep and the list.

So this occurs exactly when there is a unique partial completion.

Firstly is this a feature...... or is it something I should look into
fixing. Have I missed an option?  Im sure that this is a change from
the version 3.0 zsh but Ive noticed that bash on my Linux machine does
it too.

For sake of extra info:

	argo% setopt
	interactive
	monitor
	norcs
	shinstdin
	zle
	argo% uname -a
	SunOS argo.dcrt.nih.gov 5.4 Generic_101945-45 sun4d sparc

				Anthony.

* Re: unique partial completion
@ 1997-05-30 16:15 ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1997-05-30 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Iano-Fletcher; +Cc: Zsh-workers

Anthony Iano-Fletcher wrote:
>	argo% ls mod
>
>as it should (there are lots of mod* files) but there are no beeps
>or completion lists to indicate that this completion is incomplete.

The indication that the completion is incomplete is that a space is
not inserted.  If you had a file called mod, you would get

argo% ls mo<TAB>
argo% ls mod _

whereas you are actually getting

argo% ls mo<TAB>
argo% ls mod_

which indicates that the word isn't finished yet.

-zefram

* Re: unique partial completion
@ 1997-05-30 16:52   ` Bart Schaefer
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1997-05-30 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zefram, zsh-workers

On May 30,  5:15pm, Zefram wrote:
} Subject: Re: unique partial completion
}
} Anthony Iano-Fletcher wrote:
} >	argo% ls mod
} >
} >as it should (there are lots of mod* files) but there are no beeps
} >or completion lists to indicate that this completion is incomplete.
}
} The indication that the completion is incomplete is that a space is
} not inserted.

Huh?  In 3.0.3-test4, it beeps at me.  I don't have a 3.1 compiled, but
I can't call this an acceptable alternative; it's just not obvious enough.
Bring back the beep.

http://www.well.com/user/barts        http://www.nbn.com/people/lantern

* Re: unique partial completion
@ 1997-05-30 17:07     ` Anthony Iano-Fletcher
From: Anthony Iano-Fletcher @ 1997-05-30 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi,

Zefram: The indication that the completion is incomplete is that a space is
Zefram: not inserted.

yes you are right - if I was awake enough I'd realise that there was no
trailing space (or slash for a directory). Still, I'd like a beep and a
completion list (if I ordered one) without having to hit <TAB> the second
time. Maybe we can have another setopt option 'BEEP_THE_FIRST_TIME'
(other suggestions are very welcome).

@ 1997-05-30 17:21     ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 1997-05-30 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 31 May 1997 02:59:11 +1000, Bart Schaefer wrote:
:On May 30,  5:15pm, Zefram wrote:
:} Anthony Iano-Fletcher wrote:
:} >	argo% ls mod
:} >as it should (there are lots of mod* files) but there are no beeps
:} >or completion lists to indicate that this completion is incomplete.
:} The indication that the completion is incomplete is that a space is
:} not inserted.
:Huh?  In 3.0.3-test4, it beeps at me.  I don't have a 3.1 compiled, but
:I can't call this an acceptable alternative; it's just not obvious enough.
:Bring back the beep.

I just tried it with "zsh-3.1.0-test3 -f" (what I had lying around).
Beeps at me.  Then did "setopt autolist" and tried it again and got a list.
Which zsh-3.1.* version?
--
Geoff Wing [mason@primenet.com.au]   Technical Manager
  Phone    : +61-3-9818 2977         PrimeNet - Internet Consultancy

* Re: unique partial completion
@ 1997-05-30 17:36       ` Anthony Iano-Fletcher
From: Anthony Iano-Fletcher @ 1997-05-30 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi,

> I just tried it with "zsh-3.1.0-test3 -f" (what I had lying around).
> Beeps at me.  Then did "setopt autolist" and tried it again and got a list.
> Which zsh-3.1.* version?

I find the no-beep behaviour in version 3.1.1.

@ 1997-05-30 18:00     ` Vinnie Shelton
From: Vinnie Shelton @ 1997-05-30 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Not to be hysterical, but since I don't have 3.1 installed (to check this
out), let me echo what Bart wrote: The beep is necessary; the lack of a
space is not a sufficient cue.

vin

@ 1997-05-31  8:10 ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1997-05-31  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Iano-Fletcher; +Cc: Zsh-workers

> as it should (there are lots of mod* files) but there are no beeps
> or completion lists to indicate that this completion is incomplete.
> Even with 'setopt auto_list list_beep' I dont get a warning or a
> completion list.  When I hit <TAB> for the second time, I now get
> the beep and the list.
>
> So this occurs exactly when there is a unique partial completion.

The defaults have changed in zsh-3.1.1, the LIST_AMBIGUOUS option is on by
default.  Several other options are set now by default (see the Dec 27 1997
entry in the ChangeLog).  This should make zsh more user friendly when
invoked without without any startup files.  Many people symply do not know
about most of the zsh options.  Just add unset LIST_AMBIGUOUS into your
.zshrc.

Zoltan

* Re: unique partial completion
@ 1997-06-02 12:40   ` Anthony Iano-Fletcher
From: Anthony Iano-Fletcher @ 1997-06-02 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh-workers

Hi

> The defaults have changed in zsh-3.1.1, the LIST_AMBIGUOUS option is on by
> default.  Several other options are set now by default (see the Dec 27 1997
> entry in the ChangeLog).  This should make zsh more user friendly when
> invoked without without any startup files.

> Just add unset LIST_AMBIGUOUS into your .zshrc.

Thanks, that seems to work for me. :-)

So far we have had 3 people who believe that the new default behaviour is not
entirely obvious. Why was this considered to make zsh more friendly?

Why doesnt LIST_AMBIGUOUS show up when I type 'setopt'? Its only when I
do 'unsetopt LIST_AMBIGUOUS' does "nolistambiguous" show up.

I looked for the Dec 27 1997 entry in the ChangeLog file but I
guess I'm behind the times. I did see an entry that says that setopt
was changed to show the non-default options. Is there a way of seeing
all the options set?

> Many people symply do not know about most of the zsh options.

Well that true for me.... I didnt spot this one although I did look - honest!

@ 1997-06-02 16:37     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1997-06-02 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Iano-Fletcher, Zsh-workers

On Jun 2,  8:40am, Anthony Iano-Fletcher wrote:
}
} > Just add unset LIST_AMBIGUOUS into your .zshrc.
}
} Thanks, that seems to work for me. :-)
}
} So far we have had 3 people who believe that the new default behaviour is
} not entirely obvious. Why was this considered to make zsh more friendly?

I don't think the problem is with listambiguous, I think it's with listbeep.
I'm not sure, as I don't have 3.1.x compiled ... is listbeep no longer a
default setting?  Or is it broken?

} Is there a way of seeing all the options set?

setopt kshoptionprint.  I started doing that long ago; there probably ought
to be a command-line switch for setopt to turn it on just for one pass.

As long as I'm on the subject, there also ought to be a switch to list all
the options in "positive" form, e.g. so you get

listambiguous off

instead of

nolistambiguous on

@ 1997-06-02 20:41       ` Zoltan T. Hidvegi
From: Zoltan T. Hidvegi @ 1997-06-02 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Jun 2,  8:40am, Anthony Iano-Fletcher wrote:
> } Subject: Re: unique partial completion
> }
> } > Just add unset LIST_AMBIGUOUS into your .zshrc.
> }
> } Thanks, that seems to work for me. :-)
> }
> } So far we have had 3 people who believe that the new default behaviour is
> } not entirely obvious. Why was this considered to make zsh more friendly?
>
> I don't think the problem is with listambiguous, I think it's with listbeep.
> I'm not sure, as I don't have 3.1.x compiled ... is listbeep no longer a
> default setting?  Or is it broken?

No, listbeep only beeps when a list is printed.  listambiguous does not
print a list if there is a unique partial completion hence there is no
beep.  Perhaps a new option is needed for that case.  The most difficult
question is how to call this new option.  Perhaps INCOMPLETE_BEEP?

Zoli