zsh-workers
* Re:  PATCH: completion lists revisted
@ 1997-11-27 10:34 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 1997-11-27 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Peter Stephenson wrote:

> I changed one additional piece of logic: the mere presence of an
> explanation string used to force alternative completions not to be
> tried.  For example,
>
> compctl -k '(foo bar)' -X 'Yeah.' + -k '(Foo Bar)' foo
>
> would never look at the Foo Bar possibilities (`foo F^D' would just
> mindlessly say `Yeah.').  Maybe someone can explain this.

I guess this is just a bug (at least I can't remember implementing it
this way intentionally and this was probably my code).

Bye
 Sven

* Re: User-defined completion listing
@ 1997-11-21 18:39 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1997-11-21 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

On Nov 21, 10:26am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: User-defined completion listing
}
} ...  It's easy to get -X to substitute a variable, too,
} when it has a $ in front, but maybe it would be preferable to have
} double-quoted expansion instead?

My suggestion had been that -X would stay as it is, but -Y would do the
double-quote expansion.  I'd pick some other letter for alteration of
the listing ... what else is not taken yet?  h, i, M, t, V, W, and y.

Good grief, that means there are 44 options to compctl right now (45 if
you count Peter's -Y), plus all the pattern-matching tags for -x.  Eek.

Anyway, I guess I'd go with -Y and one of -y or -W for what we're talking
about now.  Doesn't really matter which means which.  Or you could do all
three; use -y and -Y like -k and -K, except for modifying the listing,
and use -W as an expanding -X.