zsh-workers
* zsh-workers: zsh-3.1.4
@ 1998-06-01  8:19 Zefram
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Zefram @ 1998-06-01  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

* Re: zsh-workers: zsh-3.1.4
@ 1998-06-01 15:56 ` Bart Schaefer
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1998-06-01 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zefram, zsh-workers

A couple of build oddities (on RedHat 4.2 Linux):

"make clean" fails when /bin/sh is bash because $(SUBDIRS) is empty in
Doc and Etc and maybe elsewhere.  Bash gets a syntax error at

	for subdir in ; do

even though that is prefixed with "if test -n '$(SUBDIRS)'" because it
apparently wants to parse the entire line before executing any of it.

The above is an additional problem because following a configure with
--enable-dynamic, it's necessary to "make clean" in order to get a
successful compile using --disable-dynamic.  Reconfiguring with dynamic
disabled without first doing a "make clean" causes some of the sed
replacements on the Makefiles to fail, and make produces weird errors
like

	g: command not found (ignored)

(Actually, it may fail that way even with a "make clean", because after
discovering the reason "make clean" was failing I resorted to "rm -r"
and then reconfigured.)

* Re: zsh-workers: zsh-3.1.4
@ 1998-06-01 16:07   ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1998-06-01 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zefram, zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer wrote:
>"make clean" fails when /bin/sh is bash because $(SUBDIRS) is empty in
>Doc and Etc and maybe elsewhere.  Bash gets a syntax error at
>
>	for subdir in ; do
>
>even though that is prefixed with "if test -n '$(SUBDIRS)'" because it
>apparently wants to parse the entire line before executing any of it.

Cool.  I guess we'll have to go back to one of the other (less neat)
mechanisms.  Simple fix:

	subdirs='$(SUBDIRS)'; for subdir in $$subdirs; do ...

-zefram

* Re: zsh-workers: zsh-3.1.4
@ 1998-06-01 16:33   ` Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1998-06-01 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

	Author:        "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@brasslantern.com>

> A couple of build oddities (on RedHat 4.2 Linux):
>
> "make clean" fails when /bin/sh is bash because $(SUBDIRS) is empty in
> Doc and Etc and maybe elsewhere.  Bash gets a syntax error at

Yet another reason, is it not, why /bin/sh should be /bin/sh and not
/bin/something-that-wants-to-pretend-it-is-sh ????

TjL, still wondering why people fix things that aren't broken

* Re: zsh-workers: zsh-3.1.4
@ 1998-06-01 18:09     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1998-06-01 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy J Luoma, zsh-workers

On Jun 1, 12:33pm, Timothy J Luoma wrote:
} Subject: Re: zsh-workers: zsh-3.1.4
}
} > "make clean" fails when /bin/sh is bash because $(SUBDIRS) is empty in
} > Doc and Etc and maybe elsewhere.  Bash gets a syntax error at
}
} Yet another reason, is it not, why /bin/sh should be /bin/sh and not
} /bin/something-that-wants-to-pretend-it-is-sh ????

Unfortunately, there's no (?) PD implementation of the pure old-fashioned
Bourne shell that can be distributed with Linux.  It's either pretend, or
don't have a /bin/sh at all, I think.

That said, I'm not entirely sure that the Bourne shell wouldn't also have
choked on that construct.  My guess is it was tested with zsh and ksh,
not with a "real" sh.

* Re: zsh-workers: zsh-3.1.4
@ 1998-06-01 18:35       ` Zoltan Hidvegi
From: Zoltan Hidvegi @ 1998-06-01 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: luomat+Lists/Zsh/workers, zsh-workers

> } Yet another reason, is it not, why /bin/sh should be /bin/sh and not
> } /bin/something-that-wants-to-pretend-it-is-sh ????

Bash and zsh are real enough for me.  /bin/sh is /bin/sh no matter if
it's bash or zsh :-).  And if something does not work when /bin/sh is
a copy of zsh, than it is probably a zsh bug, and we'll fix it, right?
But how can I fix the old Bourne Shell for which I have no source?

> Unfortunately, there's no (?) PD implementation of the pure old-fashioned
> Bourne shell that can be distributed with Linux.  It's either pretend, or
> don't have a /bin/sh at all, I think.

ash is quite close.  You'd still need to remove some features from ash
to get a real old-fashionned shell.

> That said, I'm not entirely sure that the Bourne shell wouldn't also have
> choked on that construct.  My guess is it was tested with zsh and ksh,
> not with a "real" sh.

Actually, zsh is probably the only shell which does not choke on

for i in ; do echo hehe; done

But as long as it affects only make clean, it is not that bad as the
configure bug in 3.1.3 was.

Zoli

* Re: zsh-workers: zsh-3.1.4
@ 1998-06-01 21:53 ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 1998-06-01 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zefram; +Cc: zsh-workers

Zefram writes:
> 3969  fix spaceinline() to fix yank
>     I think spaceinline() already has the correct behaviour, and
>     callers that invoke the boundary case should explicitly implement
>     the behaviour they actually want.

No, spaceinline() is definitely broken.  To see this, it is only
necessary to set the point and type some characters.  The easiest
way to do this is to start with an empty line (which has the point
set to the start of the line), type a few characters, and type Ctrl-X
Ctrl-X -- the curor doesn't budge (it should have gone to the start
of the line).  That's because spaceinline() keeps bumping the point
forward when it shouldn't.

Having a >= in spaceinline() is wrong -- it should be just >.

..wayne..

* Re: zsh-workers: zsh-3.1.4
@ 1998-06-02  7:21     ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1998-06-02  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy J Luoma; +Cc: zsh-workers

Timothy J Luoma wrote:
>Yet another reason, is it not, why /bin/sh should be /bin/sh and not
>/bin/something-that-wants-to-pretend-it-is-sh ????

No, plenty of `real' sh's choke on that construct.  We cater to
idiosyncracies of Bourne shell variants right back to V6 (hence no shell
functions); bash now counts as such a variant, though it doesn't seem
to have any special restrictions not present in any earlier sh.

>TjL, still wondering why people fix things that aren't broken

With me, it's a case of "I know it works in practice, but does it work
in theory?".

-zefram

* Re: zsh-workers: zsh-3.1.4
@ 1998-06-02  7:31   ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 1998-06-02  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne Davison; +Cc: zefram, zsh-workers

Wayne Davison wrote:
>No, spaceinline() is definitely broken.  To see this, it is only
>necessary to set the point and type some characters.  The easiest
>way to do this is to start with an empty line (which has the point
>set to the start of the line), type a few characters, and type Ctrl-X
>Ctrl-X -- the curor doesn't budge (it should have gone to the start
>of the line).  That's because spaceinline() keeps bumping the point
>forward when it shouldn't.
>
>Having a >= in spaceinline() is wrong -- it should be just >.

So the mark should be attached to the preceding character, rather than the
following?  If that is the correct semantic then spaceinline() is broken.

-zefram

* Re: zsh-workers: zsh-3.1.4
@ 1998-06-02  9:50     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1998-06-02  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zefram, zsh-workers

On Jun 2,  8:31am, Zefram wrote:
}
} So the mark should be attached to the preceding character, rather than the
} following?  If that is the correct semantic then spaceinline() is broken.

I don't know if "attached to the preceding character" is the right way to
think about it or not.  However, when mark is equal to point and then
additional characters are inserted, the mark should definitely be "left
behind" as point moves away.

I believe I remarked upon this once before ... ah, yes:

http://www.zsh.org/mla/users-1997-hyper/0577.html
http://www.zsh.org/mla/users-1997-hyper/0579.html
http://www.zsh.org/mla/users-1997-hyper/0582.html

* Re: zsh-workers: zsh-3.1.4
@ 1998-06-02 16:08   ` Chet Ramey
From: Chet Ramey @ 1998-06-02 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schaefer; +Cc: zefram, zsh-workers, chet

> "make clean" fails when /bin/sh is bash because $(SUBDIRS) is empty in
> Doc and Etc and maybe elsewhere.  Bash gets a syntax error at
>
> 	for subdir in ; do
>
> even though that is prefixed with "if test -n '$(SUBDIRS)'" because it
> apparently wants to parse the entire line before executing any of it.

Yes, this is how sh is supposed to work.  A real, honest-to-god Bourne
shell (SunOS 4.1.4) does not accept an empty list after `in' either.

odin(3)$ sh
${HOST}($SHLVL)\$ for x in ; do echo z ; done
syntax error: `;' unexpected
${HOST}($SHLVL)\$ if test -n ''
> then
> for x in ; do echo z ; done
syntax error: `;' unexpected

Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University	Internet: chet@po.CWRU.Edu

* blocking read stdin patch (Re: zsh-workers: zsh-3.1.4)
@ 1998-07-23  8:11 ` yamagata
From: yamagata @ 1998-07-23  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hello,

In message <199806010819.JAA27897@diamond.tao.co.uk>,
Zefram wrote

> Zsh version 3.1.4 has been released, and an announcement posted to
> zsh-announce.

(snip)

> 3950  set blocking read on stdin
>     I'm rather dubious about this EWOULDBLOCK business.  I think this
>     should be EAGAIN.  I'm also a bit suspicious about where the blocking
>     status is being changed, but I haven't examined it in detail yet.

(snip)

In 4.2BSD, non-blocking read will be return by EWOULDBLOCK,
But in POSIX it should be EAGAIN.

Some OS (like SunOS4.1.X or Ultrix) may return both error.
It seems to be decided by compile environment
or what flag was used for blocking read.

In SunOS 4.1.X,
When set O_NONBLOCK, will be EWOULDBLOCK,
When set O_NDELAY, will be EAGAIN.

In 4.4BSD and Digital UNIX(3.2 and 4.0),
EWOULDBLOCK and EAGAIN are same value,
thus Zoltan's patch works fine.

				yamagata