zsh-workers
* PATCH: 3.1.5: bad handling of 8 bit character
       [not found] <19981111152326.A327@skiff.babafou.eu.org>
@ 1998-11-12 13:12 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1998-11-12 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list, Marc Baudoin

Marc Baudoin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've upgraded from zsh 3.0.5 to try zsh 3.1.5 and I noticed two
> problems.
>
> The new zsh seems to have problems with files whose name contains
> non ASCII characters:

I suspect this was my fault last time I fiddled with input.c.  It only
shows up on machines where char is signed, so I didn't notice it.  At
least, this seems to do the trick for SUNOS, where I was seeing the
problem.

*** Src/input.c.lastc	Sat Sep 26 19:02:15 1998
--- Src/input.c	Thu Nov 12 14:18:23 1998
***************
*** 176,182 ****
  int
  ingetc(void)
  {
!     char lastc;

      if (lexstop)
  	return ' ';
--- 176,182 ----
  int
  ingetc(void)
  {
!     int lastc;

      if (lexstop)
  	return ' ';

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>       Tel: +39 050 844536
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/

* Re: PATCH: 3.1.5: bad handling of 8 bit character
@ 1998-11-12 14:08   ` Marc Baudoin
From: Marc Baudoin @ 1998-11-12 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it> écrit :
> Marc Baudoin wrote:
> >
> > I've upgraded from zsh 3.0.5 to try zsh 3.1.5 and I noticed two
> > problems.
> >
> > The new zsh seems to have problems with files whose name contains
> > non ASCII characters:
>
> I suspect this was my fault last time I fiddled with input.c.  It only
> shows up on machines where char is signed, so I didn't notice it.  At
> least, this seems to do the trick for SUNOS, where I was seeing the
> problem.

Looks like it!

Thanks.

--
Marc Baudoin   -=-   <babafou@babafou.eu.org>

* Re: PATCH: 3.1.5: bad handling of 8 bit character
@ 1998-11-12 16:55   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1998-11-12 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson, Zsh hackers list

On Nov 12,  2:12pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: PATCH: 3.1.5: bad handling of 8 bit character
}
} I suspect this was my fault last time I fiddled with input.c.  It only
} shows up on machines where char is signed, so I didn't notice it.  At
} least, this seems to do the trick for SUNOS, where I was seeing the
} problem.
}
}   int
}   ingetc(void)
}   {
} !     int lastc;
}
}       if (lexstop)
}   	return ' ';

I'm confused.  I have this patch applied to 3.0.5:

 PWS's patch from zsh-workers 4172 to eliminate the `lastc' global
 and thereby clean up some goofy history management and a couple of
 unexpected exits.

That means that my 3.0.5-extended has `char lastc;' in ingetc() as well.
Yet 3.0.5-extended still manages to get the 8-bit characters right, even
though 3.1.5 built on the same machine gets it wrong.

What *else* changed in 3.1.5 to make it sensitive to this?

* Re: PATCH: 3.1.5: bad handling of 8 bit character
@ 1998-11-13  6:08     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1998-11-13  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson, Zsh hackers list

On Nov 12,  8:55am, Bart Schaefer wrote:
} Subject: Re: PATCH: 3.1.5: bad handling of 8 bit character
}
} On Nov 12,  2:12pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} }
} } I suspect this was my fault last time I fiddled with input.c.
}
} I'm confused.  I have this patch applied to 3.0.5:
}
}  PWS's patch from zsh-workers 4172 to eliminate the `lastc' global

My mistake:  The version of 3.0.5 where I tried to reproduce the bug
was not the same one that had the above-mentioned patch.

The char --> int change in input.c is indeed necessary and sufficient.