zsh-workers
* 3.0.5 patches
@ 1999-01-06 10:17 Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 1999-01-06 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Development Workers

How many current patches are there against 3.0.5?

Bart refered in one article to 3.0.5-extended -- is that local to you
Bart?  A search on the web-site archives turns up nothing.

I'm thinking of creating a megapatch.  The list I currently have is:
 Archive#   Details
 3548(1997) Zoltan - rcexpandparam
 1880       Bart - handling EINTR with command substitutions
 4644       Bart - arithmetic expressions
 4870       Goran Larsson - Y2k
 3809       Bart (3.0.5 adapt of PWS 3.1.x patch) - Glob qualifier close
 4447       Bart - (believe sigwinch)

I know that this last patch might be objected to - I'd go on opinion
here.  Or am I just duplicating what someone else has already done?

Thanks
--
--> Phil Pennock ; GAT d- s+:+ a23 C++(++++) UL++++/I+++/S+++/H+ P++@ L+++
E-@ W(+) N>++ o !K w--- O>+ M V !PS PE Y+ PGP+ t-- 5++ X+ R !tv b++>+++ DI+ D+

* Re: 3.0.5 patches
@ 1999-01-06 16:40 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-01-06 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Pennock, Zsh Development Workers

On Jan 6, 10:17am, Phil Pennock wrote:
} Subject: 3.0.5 patches
}
} How many current patches are there against 3.0.5?
}
} Bart refered in one article to 3.0.5-extended -- is that local to you
} Bart?  A search on the web-site archives turns up nothing.

You'll find it if you search the zsh-users archive with partial word
matching turned on, for the string 3.0.5-extended .  It's a bit out of
date now.

} I'm thinking of creating a megapatch.  The list I currently have is:
}  Archive#   Details
}  3548(1997) Zoltan - rcexpandparam
}  1880       Bart - handling EINTR with command substitutions
}  4644       Bart - arithmetic expressions
}  4870       Goran Larsson - Y2k
}  3809       Bart (3.0.5 adapt of PWS 3.1.x patch) - Glob qualifier close
}  4447       Bart - (believe sigwinch)

There's a lot more than that in the -extended patch, though the 4xxx
ones aren't there.

} I know that this last patch might be objected to - I'd go on opinion
} here.  Or am I just duplicating what someone else has already done?

There was talk at about the time 3.1.5 popped out of doing an official
3.0.6.  Here's a summary of the patches to 3.0.5 I have in my CVS tree,
most of which was sent to Zefram back in October; I don't know all the
article numbers:

----------------

The HIST_REDUCE_BLANKS option.

PWS's "preexec" function (ala "precmd"), from zsh-users 1068.

Andreas J. Koenig's patch from zsh-workers 3660 to cause failure of rlimits.awk
to properly abort the build.

PWS's patch from zsh-workers 3526 to permit history commands (fc and r) to be
used in command substitutions ($() and ``).

Patch readoutput() so the output of command substitutions isn't lost on an
EINTR read error, from zsh-users 1880.

PWS's patch from zsh-workers 3808 for (:s/x/y) glob qualifiers.

PWS's patch for number-range globbing with number-prefix matching.

PWS's patch from zsh-workers 4172 to eliminate the `lastc' global and thereby
clean up some goofy history management and a couple of unexpected exits.

PWS's patch for mishandled job wait when the last job in a pipeline is not
added to the job table before an earlier job in the same pipeline is reaped,
from zsh-workers 4397.

PWS's patch from zsh-workers 3818 to not mess up the tty settings when doing
a command while zle is active (e.g. inside a completion function).

Zoltan's patch from zsh-workers 3974 for crash on unset of a special param.

Adaptation to 3.0.5 of Zoltan's patch from zsh-workers 4376 for case ... esac
parsing; any single complex command should parse as if semicolon-terminated.

PWS's patch from zsh-workers 3806 for ${var:s/x/y} modifiers.

Zoltan's patch for rcexpandparam bug, from zsh-workers 3548.

Zefram's chaselinks patch from zsh-workers 3872.

Don't call ioctl(TIOCSWINSZ) from non-interactive shells.

PWS's patch from zsh-workers 3816 for bindkey exiting too vigorously on error.

Sven's patch from 4148 for starting menucompletion when the inserted prefix
would otherwise trigger REC_EXACT.

Sven's patch from 4147 for strange completinword behavior.

Sven Wischnowsky's patch from zsh-workers 4140 for starting menu completion
following a compctl that uses -U.

PWS's patch to simplify expand-or-complete-prefix.

Wayne Davison's patch from zsh-workers 3969 for positioning the mark after
a yank.

PWS's helpfiles revision, from zsh-workers 3598.

PWS's tweak from zsh-workers 4612 that seems to fix signed char problems
which in turn break input of chars with the high bit set.

Fix (for unspecified problem) from Sven in zsh-workers 4697.

Fix strange cursor placement following vi-oper-swap-case.

Cross end-of-line in vi-forward-word when editing multiple lines.

Fix for ${(l<10><x>)foo} and ${(l<10><0><x>)foo} from zsh-workers 4644.

----------------

I'm not actually running the resulting version on a regular basis (mainly
because I'm too lazy/distracted to install it).  Hmm, it appears I never
committed the SIGWINCH change, probably because I don't have trouble with
it.

I could generate a patch for all of that pretty easily, though I also have
a couple of local changes that I'd have to excise.  However, I'd rather not
do it if Zefram is going to surface and release 3.0.6 pretty soon.

* Re: 3.0.5 patches
@ 1999-01-06 16:53   ` Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 1999-01-06 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Development Workers

Typing away merrily, Bart Schaefer produced the immortal words:
> There was talk at about the time 3.1.5 popped out of doing an official
> 3.0.6.  Here's a summary of the patches to 3.0.5 I have in my CVS tree,
> most of which was sent to Zefram back in October; I don't know all the
> article numbers:
[...]
> I could generate a patch for all of that pretty easily, though I also have
> a couple of local changes that I'd have to excise.  However, I'd rather not
> do it if Zefram is going to surface and release 3.0.6 pretty soon.

He's currently without net access.  He left his old job and doesn't have
a modem in his computer.  His mail on fysh.org was last read November
4th.

I don't have his current phone num, but his boss is a friend and I have
his.  Any particular concensus message ppl want passed on?
--

@ 1999-01-10  7:24     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-01-10  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Pennock, Zsh Development Workers

On Jan 6,  4:53pm, Phil Pennock wrote:
} Subject: Re: 3.0.5 patches
}
} Typing away merrily, Bart Schaefer produced the immortal words:
} > I could generate a patch for all of that pretty easily, though I also have
} > a couple of local changes that I'd have to excise.  However, I'd rather not
} > do it if Zefram is going to surface and release 3.0.6 pretty soon.
}
} He's currently without net access.

Given that, I went ahead and created the patch.  You can pick it up from

	ftp://ftp.brasslantern.com/pub/zsh/patch-3.0.5-ext-2

As suggested by the name, it sets the version string to "3.0.5-ext-2".  I've
removed the "3.0.5-extended" patch.

Relatively complete details of what's included can be found in

	ftp://ftp.brasslantern.com/pub/zsh/README

The very short description is that it contains the patches from zsh-users
articles 1068 and 1880, and from zsh-workers 2864, 3526, 3548, 3598, 3649,
3660, 3680, 3771, 3806, 3809, 3816, 3818, 3872, 3963, 3969, 3974, 4140,
4147, 4148, 4172, 4376, 4397, 4612, 4644, 4677 (2nd hunk only), 4678, 4697,
and 4870.