zsh-workers
* Make dependencies broken in pws-6 + latest patches
@ 1999-02-04 16:25 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-02-04 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I've noticed previously that changes to Config/version.mk don't cause the
Src/version.h file to be updated.

Now, with PWS's bashautolist patch, rebuilding with the changed zsh.h left
the opts[] array messed up.  I had to `make clean` and then rebuild to get
zsh working again; I was in the middle of reporting that ZLE wasn't getting
initialized properly when I remembered that the option numbering had been
changed.

I don't have time to track this down this morning, and frankly I'm not very
familiar with the way the build works since dynamic modules were introduced,
so it might be better for someone else to do it anyway.

* Re: Make dependencies broken in pws-6 + latest patches
@ 1999-02-05  9:48 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1999-02-05  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

"Bart Schaefer" wrote:
> I've noticed previously that changes to Config/version.mk don't cause the
> Src/version.h file to be updated.
>
> Now, with PWS's bashautolist patch, rebuilding with the changed zsh.h left
> the opts[] array messed up.  I had to `make clean` and then rebuild to get
> zsh working again; I was in the middle of reporting that ZLE wasn't getting
> initialized properly when I remembered that the option numbering had been
> changed.
>
> I don't have time to track this down this morning, and frankly I'm not very
> familiar with the way the build works since dynamic modules were introduced,
> so it might be better for someone else to do it anyway.

Me not neither.  I noticed this, too, and discovered that main.o
wasn't being remade --- removing main.o and making should work.  This
is because $(MAIN_OBJS) depends on Makemod, which was up to date.
I could add an explicit dependence for zsh.h to Makefile.in, even
though zsh.h isn't otherwise mentioned there.  Does anyone know if
this is OK?

As for the version number, there are already explicit dependencies for
this in Makemod.

 params.o: version.h

 version.h: $(sdir_top)/Config/version.mk
	echo '#define ZSH_VERSION "'$(VERSION)'"' > $@

Also, I've found that the Zle/*.mdh files are sometimes not remade
properly, and this moring comp1.pro wasn't remade.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>       Tel: +39 050 844536
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/

* Re: Make dependencies broken in pws-6 + latest patches
@ 1999-02-05 16:58   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-02-05 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Feb 5, 10:48am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: Make dependencies broken in pws-6 + latest patches
}
} "Bart Schaefer" wrote:
} > I've noticed previously that changes to Config/version.mk don't cause the
} > Src/version.h file to be updated.
} >
} > Now, with PWS's bashautolist patch, rebuilding with the changed zsh.h left
} > the opts[] array messed up.
}
} Me not neither.  I noticed this, too, and discovered that main.o
} wasn't being remade --- removing main.o and making should work.  This
} is because $(MAIN_OBJS) depends on Makemod, which was up to date.
}
} As for the version number, there are already explicit dependencies for
} this in Makemod.
}
}  version.h: $(sdir_top)/Config/version.mk
} 	echo '#define ZSH_VERSION "'$(VERSION)'"' > $@

OK, I think the problem is that Makemod itself isn't being rebuilt.  The
$(VERSION) is set by AC_FILE_SUBST-ing version.mk into Makemod.in.in, but
Makemod doesn't have a dependency for Makemod.in nor does Makemod.in have
one for version.mk.  Similarly, it's only sufficient for $(MAIN_OBJS) to
be dependent solely on Makemod only if Makemod depends on zsh.h.

I think somebody made the assumption that "configure" would ALWAYS be
run (manually) before running "make".

However, I'm still not sure where the right place to add those dependencies
is.  It'd be obvious to make $(MAIN_OBJS) depend on zsh.h, but really *all*
the files should depend on zsh.h, no?

And would the Makemod.in dependency on version.mk go *in* version.mk?  That
would work after the first manual reconfigure, I think, because Makefile.in
depends on Makemod.in so (I think) the whole make system would get rebuilt
upon a change to version.mk.