zsh-workers
* Lack of any functionality in new completion
@ 1999-03-23  1:39 Josh Howard
From: Josh Howard @ 1999-03-23  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I suppose I must have some sort of gross oversight when it comes to
the new completion, but...It seems that I'm completely and utterly
unable to get any semblance of completion going in 3.1.5-pws-13. Mind
you, I hadn't ever gotten it working, but I figured I might as well
start at the newest. I set an fpath, used compinit -d, tried a few zle
tricks to get ^I to complete here and there, but it would seem that
when I execute compinit -d, things tend to stop working.

bindkey '^D' gives this:
"^D" _complete_delete-char-or-list

bindkey '^I' gives:
"^I" _complete_expand-or-complete

Hitting ^I/tab seems to do absolutely nothing, however. Is there
something I'm simply missing?
Sorry if this is just vast ineptitude on my part, but I guess
things just aren't going my way.

--
Josh Howard <jrh@vicor-nb.com>

* Re: Lack of any functionality in new completion
@ 1999-03-23  9:07 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1999-03-23  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers, Josh Howard

Josh Howard wrote:
> I suppose I must have some sort of gross oversight when it comes to
> the new completion, but...It seems that I'm completely and utterly
> unable to get any semblance of completion going in 3.1.5-pws-13. Mind
> you, I hadn't ever gotten it working, but I figured I might as well
> start at the newest. I set an fpath, used compinit -d, tried a few zle
> tricks to get ^I to complete here and there, but it would seem that
> when I execute compinit -d, things tend to stop working.

Remember you need `. compinit -d' or `source compinit -d' to get things to
work --- executing it as a shell script won't do anything.  The bindings
should then be set automatically, provided they were previously bound to
the usual old-style completion functions; you shouldn't need to do any
rebinding yourself.  Try doing `set -x' and seeing what functions get
called when you hit tab; you should start off inside the function
_main_complete.  If nothing at all shows up, then the functions probably
aren't being found, either a problem with $fpath or it hasn't been
autoloaded (or both, if compinit didn't find anything).  Also try
`functions' and see if you get a long list of undefined functions beginning
with `_', as you should.

Somebody will probably write some installation code when they get a chance.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>       Tel: +39 050 844536
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/

* Re: Lack of any functionality in new completion
@ 1999-03-23 18:27 ` Josh Howard
From: Josh Howard @ 1999-03-23 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Well, I with I can't seem to find any relation to setopting those and
it actually doing anything. If I go in to ~/.zsh/ (where I put most of
the scripts) and do something silly like an 'autoload _*', I get
slightly different behavior. If I do an 'ls -l _pa^D', I get the same
line repeated, such as:

jrh@kashmir:~/.zsh> ls _par^D
jrh@kashmir:~/.zsh> ls _par
Same thing as with ^I instead of ^D

And the file _parameter is in that directory.

I tried this with as vanilla of a zsh as I could try, ie, none of my
previous startup files to no avail.

@ 1999-03-23 13:46 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 1999-03-23 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers