zsh-workers
* (fwd) zsh can't hold options in MOSXS
@ 1999-05-21 11:57 Timothy J Luoma
From: Timothy J Luoma @ 1999-05-21 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: dwight_lee

Dwight Lee posted this to comp.sys.next.* newsgroups (incorrectly
crossposting to csn.misc, but that's another story ;-)

I thought it likely that few folks on this list would see it so I repost it
here with followups to 'dwight_lee@fortdearborn.com'

NOTE: "MOSXS" stands for "Mac OS X Server"

Begin forwarded message:

Newsgroups: comp.sys.next.bugs,comp.sys.next.misc
Subject: zsh can't hold options in MOSXS
Date: 21 May 1999 08:14:50 GMT

As a faithful zsh user, I of course set myself up on Mac OS X Server
with zsh, but found that my preferred options weren't sticking.
Specifically, autolist (aka AUTO_LIST) doesn't show up in a plain
"setopt", and it's not the default.  I compiled my own copy of zsh
3.1.5 and the same thing happened.

Oddly, if I pick another option, like autocd, it's fine.

Is this a zsh problem or a MOSXS problem?

Sample:

versace ~ $ ps auxw | grep $$
font     20893   0.0  0.4 2.78M 1.05M p4 S     0:00 /bin/zsh
font     20930   0.0  0.2 2.39M  496K p4 S     0:00 grep 20893
versace ~ $ setopt
interactive
monitor
shinstdin
zle
versace ~ $ setopt autolist
versace ~ $ setopt
interactive
monitor
shinstdin
zle
versace ~ $ setopt autocd
versace ~ $ setopt
autocd
interactive
monitor
shinstdin
zle
versace ~ $

--
Dwight Lee / dwight_lee@fortdearborn.com     1530 Morse Avenue
Information Technology                       Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 USA

* Re: zsh can't hold options in MOSXS
@ 1999-05-31  6:37 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-05-31  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dwight_lee, zsh-workers

On May 21,  7:57am, Timothy J Luoma wrote:
} Subject: (fwd) zsh can't hold options in MOSXS
}
} Begin forwarded message:
}
} Newsgroups: comp.sys.next.bugs,comp.sys.next.misc
} Date: 21 May 1999 08:14:50 GMT
}
} As a faithful zsh user, I of course set myself up on Mac OS X Server
} with zsh, but found that my preferred options weren't sticking.
} Specifically, autolist (aka AUTO_LIST) doesn't show up in a plain
} "setopt", and it's not the default.  I compiled my own copy of zsh
} 3.1.5 and the same thing happened.

Autolist -is- on by default in 3.1.5, so it won't show up in setopt
output.  Try doing "setopt kshoptionprint" so that you can see the
state of every option; in 3.1.5 I see (among lots of others)

noautolist            off

("no... off" is "on").

} Is this a zsh problem or a MOSXS problem?

It's a zsh 3.1.5 "problem":  A whole lot of options that weren't on by
default in 3.0.x got made on-by-default in 3.1.5, and the way that
"setopt" prints them correspondingly changed.

The only other time I've something that could be described as "options
not sticking" is when using a zsh that has been patched to add or change
the list of options, and then rebuilt without all the .o files getting
recompiled.