zsh-workers
* pws-19 + all patches: config.h unconditionally recreated by config.status
@ 1999-05-28 10:52 Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1999-05-28 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had to add one C flag I forgot when running configure to Makefile. I
edited config.status, rerun it - and to my surprise it silently recreated
config.h. Normally, config.h is only created when it differs from existing
one (and was the case before). It resulted in recompilation of all ZSH
instead of only one module.

/andrej

* Re: pws-19 + all patches: config.h unconditionally recreated by config.status
@ 1999-05-29 10:35 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-05-29 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 28,  2:52pm, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
} Subject: pws-19 + all patches: config.h unconditionally recreated
}
} I had to add one C flag I forgot when running configure to Makefile. I
} edited config.status, rerun it - and to my surprise it silently recreated
} config.h.

Did you interrupt (^C) the configure to stop it and add that flag?  If so,
you probably caused config.h to be removed, because of this line:

    trap 'rm -fr Config/defs.mk Makefile Doc/Makefile Etc/Makefile Src/Makefile config.h conftest*; exit 1' 1 2 15

I just ran a rebuild and got the expected output:

    cd . && \
      CONFIG_FILES= CONFIG_HEADERS=./config.h ./config.status
    creating ./config.h
    ./config.h is unchanged

* RE: pws-19 + all patches: config.h unconditionally recreated by config.status
@ 1999-05-31  7:43   ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1999-05-31  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Did you interrupt (^C) the configure to stop it and add that flag?  If so,
> you probably caused config.h to be removed, because of this line:

No. I edited config.status after configure was complete.
> I just ran a rebuild and got the expected output:
>
>     cd . && \
>       CONFIG_FILES= CONFIG_HEADERS=./config.h ./config.status
>     creating ./config.h
>     ./config.h is unchanged

And I just applied remaining patches (6343   6345   6346
6352   6354   6355   6368   6369   6374) and got the same - config.h is
unconditionally created :-) It is different system. Is it possible, that
autoconf version makes a difference? I have here autoconf-2.13.

@ 1999-05-31  7:55     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-05-31  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 31, 11:43am, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
} Subject: RE: pws-19 + all patches: config.h unconditionally recreated by c
}
} Is it possible, that
} autoconf version makes a difference? I have here autoconf-2.13.

Yes, that's certainly possible, in fact even likely.  I've got 2.12.