zsh-workers
* Bindings in .zshrc
@ 2000-01-04 12:12 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2000-01-04 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I want M-p and M-n bound to history-beginning-search-backward and
history-beginning-search-forward respectively, but it doesn't seem to
work in recent versions of zsh.

Zsh version is 3.1.6-pws-12 from Debian potato.  A detailed recipe to
repeat the problem follows.

$ mkdir tst
$ cat > tst/.zshrc
echo start
bindkey '\ep' history-beginning-search-backward
bindkey '\en' history-beginning-search-forward
echo end
^D
$ ZDOTDIR=~/tst zsh
start
end
mraz% bindkey -e        # new zsh, use Emacs-style bindings
mraz% bindkey
"^[n" history-search-forward
"^[p" history-search-backward

Obviously, the bindings didn't take effect, although .zshrc is read.
If I type it manually, it works:

mraz% bindkey '\ep' history-beginning-search-backward
mraz% bindkey '\en' history-beginning-search-forward
mraz% bindkey
"^[n" history-beginning-search-forward
"^[p" history-beginning-search-backward

* Re: Bindings in .zshrc
@ 2000-01-04 15:07 ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 2000-01-04 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hrvoje Niksic; +Cc: zsh-workers

Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
>Obviously, the bindings didn't take effect, although .zshrc is read.

Looks like you're binding those keys in the vi keymap.  Do `bindkey -e'
first, in the .zshrc, to select the Emacs keymap.

-zefram

* Re: Bindings in .zshrc
@ 2000-01-04 15:23   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2000-01-04 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zefram; +Cc: zsh-workers

Zefram <zefram@fysh.org> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
> >Obviously, the bindings didn't take effect, although .zshrc is read.
>
> Looks like you're binding those keys in the vi keymap.

Oh.  Yes, you're right.  In fact, I do have `bindkey -e' in my .zshrc,
but at the wrong place, after the bindkeys.  When I move it in front
of them, things work out nicely.

Thanks.