On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Peter Stephenson < p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com> wrote: > I hope I'm not undoing any magic with this. > That added fflush() seems like a good idea to me. I had assumed that shout wasn't buffered, but that appears to not be the case. Since the exit-output cited above is going to stderr (I'm assuming that is coming from exec.c around line 3188), your added flush should ensure that the PROMPT_SP "magic" always gets output prior to the following use of stderr, and that should make it work more consistently. ..wayne..