zsh-workers
* Bug in user guide
@ 2011-02-04  4:17 cheer_xiao
From: cheer_xiao @ 2011-02-04  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

In the first paragraph of
4.6.1(http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Guide/zshguide04.html#l100)
array=LPAR()first
should be
array=(first
I have been informed that we still cannot push changes to sf, so I
hope it be fixed as soon as sf returns to normal.

* Re: Bug in user guide
@ 2011-02-09  9:34 ` cheer_xiao
From: cheer_xiao @ 2011-02-09  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Another bug found: in the "echotc" section of 3.2.1 "Builtins for
printing", "man 5 zsh" and "man -s 5 zsh" should be "man 5 termcap"
and "man -s 5 termcap".

BTW. Is access to sourceforge still blocked? Any one with the
permission please fix these two bugs ASAP.

(Correct my English if it sounds weird to you. Thanks!)

* Re: Bug in user guide
@ 2011-02-09 12:03   ` Frank Terbeck
From: Frank Terbeck @ 2011-02-09 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cheer_xiao; +Cc: zsh-workers

cheer_xiao wrote:
> Another bug found: in the "echotc" section of 3.2.1 "Builtins for
> printing", "man 5 zsh" and "man -s 5 zsh" should be "man 5 termcap"
> and "man -s 5 termcap".
>
> BTW. Is access to sourceforge still blocked? Any one with the
> permission please fix these two bugs ASAP.

CVS is still down. Yes.

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925

* Re: Bug in user guide
@ 2011-02-10  1:42     ` cheer_xiao
From: cheer_xiao @ 2011-02-10  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Terbeck; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Frank Terbeck <ft@bewatermyfriend.org> wrote:
> CVS is still down. Yes.

Thanks for the info.
Some more thoughts about the user guide. The guide is, overall, well
written. But I found two features missing in the user guide:
1) Mark the terms appearing for the first time in *bold*,
2) A comprehensive index.
Does that sound fine to you all? If so, I'll take some time to improve
the guide and post my improve version to the mailing list.

* Re: Bug in user guide
@ 2011-02-10 15:04       ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2011-02-10 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Feb 10,  9:42am, cheer_xiao wrote:
} Subject: Re: Bug in user guide
}
} Some more thoughts about the user guide. The guide is, overall, well
} written. But I found two features missing in the user guide:
} 1) Mark the terms appearing for the first time in *bold*,
} 2) A comprehensive index.
} Does that sound fine to you all? If so, I'll take some time to improve
} the guide and post my improve version to the mailing list.

Just to be sure ... you're talking about
    http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Guide/zshguide.html
??

We'd certainly welcome any help with the guide (or any other docs, for
that matter) so do jump in and send us suggested improvements.  As for
(1) in particular ... although the guide can be read linearly it's
really more intended to to be navigated as hypertext, so adding more
cross-references to places where terms are explained would probably be
more useful than merely highlighting the "first" place they are used.
Which ought to be possible if you're constructing an index anyway.

Based on SourceForge's progress so far we might have our CVS back by
sometime on Friday.

* Re: Bug in user guide
@ 2011-02-11  5:15         ` cheer_xiao
From: cheer_xiao @ 2011-02-11  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> Just to be sure ... you're talking about
>    http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Guide/zshguide.html
> ??

Yes.

> We'd certainly welcome any help with the guide (or any other docs, for
> that matter) so do jump in and send us suggested improvements.  As for
> (1) in particular ... although the guide can be read linearly it's
> really more intended to to be navigated as hypertext, so adding more
> cross-references to places where terms are explained would probably be
> more useful than merely highlighting the "first" place they are used.
> Which ought to be possible if you're constructing an index anyway.

I think the user guide is intended for linear reading; it's quite hard
for me to start somewhere in the middle. After all, that's what most
"user guides" are; you should turn to the (more formal) documentation
when you need reference. User guides are more like books,
documentations dictionaries.

Given its linear nature, I suppose that adding cross-references can be
distracting and unnecessary (that's what the documentation needs),
while highlighting the first appearance of terms is quite helpful.

> Based on SourceForge's progress so far we might have our CVS back by
> sometime on Friday.

I'm looking forward to a heavily loaded "git pull"!

(I'm not a native speaker so please correct my English if it sounds
weird or impolite. Thanks!)

* Re: Bug in user guide
@ 2011-02-15 11:22           ` cheer_xiao
From: cheer_xiao @ 2011-02-15 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

Sorry for the inactivity during the past few days. I wonder, does the
source code of the user guide reside in a repository? Or simply in the
maintainer's box?

* Re: Bug in user guide
@ 2011-02-15 11:37             ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2011-02-15 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:22:11 +0800
cheer_xiao <xiaqqaix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the inactivity during the past few days. I wonder, does the
> source code of the user guide reside in a repository? Or simply in the
> maintainer's box?

The tar file visible in the web service is the master copy, rsync'd from
elsewhere via sourceforge's ssh service where necessary, so it's up to
date.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>            Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070                   Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited

* Re: Bug in user guide
@ 2011-02-16 13:33               ` cheer_xiao
From: cheer_xiao @ 2011-02-16 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers

6.4.1 of User Guide (http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Guide/zshguide06.html#l154) said

There's an easy way of finding out what context you are in: at the
point where you want to complete something, instead type `^Xh', and it
will tell you.

But it doesn't work here on my box. Nor was I able to find a
pre-binded keystroke to perform this action. (I tried keybind | egrep
'(context|completion)' .) Any hints?

* Re: Bug in user guide
@ 2011-02-16 13:39                 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2011-02-16 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:33:07 +0800
cheer_xiao <xiaqqaix@gmail.com> wrote:
> 6.4.1 of User Guide
> (http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Guide/zshguide06.html#l154) said
>
> There's an easy way of finding out what context you are in: at the
> point where you want to complete something, instead type `^Xh', and it
> will tell you.
>
> But it doesn't work here on my box. Nor was I able to find a
> pre-binded keystroke to perform this action. (I tried keybind | egrep
> '(context|completion)' .) Any hints?

The binding is to _complete_help; see
Completion/Base/Widget/_complete_help.  It should be set up by default
when compinit is run, though what happens after that is another matter.

--

@ 2011-02-16 13:46                 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2011-02-16 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cheer_xiao; +Cc: zsh-workers

On 16 February 2011 14:33, cheer_xiao <xiaqqaix@gmail.com> wrote:
> 6.4.1 of User Guide (http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Guide/zshguide06.html#l154) said
>
> There's an easy way of finding out what context you are in: at the
> point where you want to complete something, instead type `^Xh', and it
> will tell you.
>
> But it doesn't work here on my box. Nor was I able to find a
> pre-binded keystroke to perform this action. (I tried keybind | egrep
> '(context|completion)' .) Any hints?

Note that ^Xh means ctrl-x h, not ctrl-x ctrl-h, that would be ^X^H.
And you want bindkey | grep complete

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: Bug in user guide
@ 2011-02-16 13:48                   ` cheer_xiao
From: cheer_xiao @ 2011-02-16 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 February 2011 14:33, cheer_xiao <xiaqqaix@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 6.4.1 of User Guide (http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Guide/zshguide06.html#l154) said
>>
>> There's an easy way of finding out what context you are in: at the
>> point where you want to complete something, instead type `^Xh', and it
>> will tell you.
>>
>> But it doesn't work here on my box. Nor was I able to find a
>> pre-binded keystroke to perform this action. (I tried keybind | egrep
>> '(context|completion)' .) Any hints?
>
> Note that ^Xh means ctrl-x h, not ctrl-x ctrl-h, that would be ^X^H.
> And you want bindkey | grep complete

I already knew this... Also, "bindkey | grep complete" gives:
"^I" expand-or-complete

* Re: Bug in user guide
@ 2011-02-16 13:51                     ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2011-02-16 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cheer_xiao; +Cc: zsh-workers

On 16 February 2011 14:48, cheer_xiao <xiaqqaix@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 16 February 2011 14:33, cheer_xiao <xiaqqaix@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 6.4.1 of User Guide (http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Guide/zshguide06.html#l154) said
>>>
>>> There's an easy way of finding out what context you are in: at the
>>> point where you want to complete something, instead type `^Xh', and it
>>> will tell you.
>>>
>>> But it doesn't work here on my box. Nor was I able to find a
>>> pre-binded keystroke to perform this action. (I tried keybind | egrep
>>> '(context|completion)' .) Any hints?
>>
>> Note that ^Xh means ctrl-x h, not ctrl-x ctrl-h, that would be ^X^H.
>> And you want bindkey | grep complete
>
> I already knew this... Also, "bindkey | grep complete" gives:
> "^I" expand-or-complete

Have you run compinit?

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: Bug in user guide
@ 2011-02-16 13:56                       ` cheer_xiao
From: cheer_xiao @ 2011-02-16 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Mikael Magnusson
> Have you run compinit?

Yes. Thanks for your hint, I figured it out. I put "bindkey -e"
*after* "compinit" in my .zshrc. It works now. Next time I will post
such questions to zsh-users before suspecting the correctness of the
guide. Sorry for the noise.