On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 10:45 PM Bart Schaefer wrote: > On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 5:42 AM Jim wrote: > > > > The more I look into "functions/Prompts" and especially *fade and fire > there is no > > change in color intensity or the use of "gray". > > prompt_fade_setup: prompt_preview_theme fade white grey blue > prompt_bigfade_setup: prompt_preview_theme bigfade red white grey white > > "colors" defines "grey" so as not to break those preview defaults, and > defines "gray" because some people spell differently. > > > When grey is > > specified, the color defaults to the default color of the virtual > terminal you are using. > > I think that's because the virtual terminal is overriding "black". > Both gray and grey are defined as being identical to black. Only the > xterm extended "bright" variants are actually gray. > First, I'm no C programmer so I could have missed something. I knew enough C to allow me to be a Unix/Linux system administrator and install patches and to occasionally gen my own patch, when needed. Looking through prompt.c I find the following: /* Defines standard ANSI colour names in index order */ static const char *ansi_colours[] = { "black", "red", "green", "yellow", "blue", "magenta", "cyan", "white", "default", NULL }; Grey/gray aren't defined as far as "I" can tell, anywhere. Should it? That is for someone who knows more about this than I do. But what is more interesting, it appears that prompt doesn't depend on the "colors" function. I commented out my prompt code in my .zshrc file. Opened a new terminal. % unset fg bg fg_bold # cleared all colors associative arrays % print -- ${fg[yellow]}This is a test # outputs the terminal's default color not yellow Initiated prompts: % autoload -Uz promptinit && promptinit % prompt adam2 Ran several tests using: % prompt_preview_theme fade Substituted different color names for Prompt outputs all colors as defined in prompt.c. Did not include gray/grey. What is also interesting, prompt can output all colors defined by "number" instead of a color name. e.g. 1 for red 9 for bright-red ... The linux console will output colors 0..15 All virtual terminals(that I tested) outputs all 256 colors: 0..255 Anyway, just passing on what I found. Regards, Jim