zsh-workers
* Unexpected output in zshcontrib(1) that doesn't match yodl source
@ 2022-05-12  1:25 Jim
From: Jim @ 2022-05-12  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devs

zshcontrib under run-help has an unexpected output. The item list doesn't
match
the yodl source. First item in the source is run-help-btrfs but doesn't
show up in the
man page. Also checked functions/Misc and there is no run-help-btrfs
function.

Not sure if this would cause only the last item in the list to be
highlighted in the man
page. See attached png. Checked on-line html man page and it also has the
same
output.
https://zsh.sourceforge.io/Doc/Release/User-Contributions.html#Other-Functions

Not that familiar with yodl, so not sure what is going on or how to correct.

Thanks,

Jim Murphy

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_2022-05-11_19-49-40.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 32928 bytes --]

* Re: Unexpected output in zshcontrib(1) that doesn't match yodl source
@ 2022-05-12  5:39 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2022-05-12  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxtechguy; +Cc: devs

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 6:28 PM Jim <linux.tech.guy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not that familiar with yodl, so not sure what is going on or how to correct.

I don't think the version of the yodl source you're looking at is the
same as the version from which the man pages and online HTML were
built.  The online docs are from 5.8.1, which has only a couple of
security fixes from 5.8.  The btrfs help will appear in 5.9.

* Re: Unexpected output in zshcontrib(1) that doesn't match yodl source
@ 2022-05-12 10:00   ` Jim
From: Jim @ 2022-05-12 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: devs

Thanks for your reply.

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 12:39 AM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 6:28 PM Jim <linux.tech.guy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Not that familiar with yodl, so not sure what is going on or how to
> correct.
>
> I don't think the version of the yodl source you're looking at is the
> same as the version from which the man pages and online HTML were
> built.  The online docs are from 5.8.1, which has only a couple of
> security fixes from 5.8.  The btrfs help will appear in 5.9.

Ah, should have checked out the versions I was comparing them to.

Should have been more clear on the "highlighting" part mentioned in my
first email. In the attachment with the original email only the last item
in the list
"run-help-svn" is highlighted(in red). The attached file, here, is from the
on-line file I
referenced. As can be seen "run-help-srn" is a different font than the
others listed
there. I checked some older versions of the man page I had on one of my
systems
and the highlighting of only the last item in the list has been there at
least since
version 5.3.1.

Am I wrong in assuming all the items in the list should be "highlighted" or
should
none of them? Wish I knew yodl better.

Again, thanks for your help,

Jim

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_2022-05-12_03-37-49.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 47629 bytes --]

* Re: Unexpected output in zshcontrib(1) that doesn't match yodl source
@ 2022-05-12 14:20     ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2022-05-12 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxtechguy; +Cc: devs

Jim wrote on Thu, 12 May 2022 10:00 +00:00:
> Should have been more clear on the "highlighting" part mentioned in my
> first email. In the attachment with the original email only the last
> item in the list "run-help-svn" is highlighted(in red). The attached
> file, here, is from the on-line file I referenced. As can be seen "run-help-
> srn" is a different font than the others listed there. I checked some
> older versions of the man page I had on one of my systems and the
> highlighting of only the last item in the list has been there at least
> since version 5.3.1.
>
> Am I wrong in assuming all the items in the list should be
> "highlighted" or should none of them?

All of them should be in a fixed-width font (or red, in your viewer).
That's what «tt(foo)» is meant to do.

The markup in the source is xitem(tt(foo)) v. item(tt(foo)).  So, the
cause of the difference lies in the definitions of the xitem()/item()
macros, in Doc/ztexi.yo and Doc/zman.yo.  The former file is used for
texinfo output (from which HTML and PDF are generated); the latter for
man page output.

A good next step would be to build the docs («make -C Doc») and review
the man page source / texinfo source generated from the yodl, to see
what part of it suppresses the markup generated by the tt() macro (that
one is probably part of yodl).  E.g., on 5.8.1.3-test using yodl 4.02.00
I get:

    .TP
    .PD 0
    \fBrun\-help\-svk\fP
    .TP
    .PD
    \fBrun\-help\-svn\fP
    Assistant functions for the

and «man Doc/zshcontrib.1» renders both "run-help-svk" and "run-help-svn"
in bold.  That is: I can't reproduce the problem with the man page
output on 5.8.1.3-test with the aforementioned yodl version.

ENOTIME to test the texi output, sorry.

Cheers,

Daniel

@ 2022-05-12 15:06       ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2022-05-12 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Shahaf; +Cc: linuxtechguy, devs

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 7:21 AM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:

> All of them should be in a fixed-width font (or red, in your viewer).
> That's what «tt(foo)» is meant to do.

There's a really simple explanation for this:  The tt(...) markup was
missing until Jun-ichi's commit on 2021/12/11.  Which, again, is not
in the 5.8.1 release but will be in 5.9.