Hi everyone, Maybe this has been discussed before and I haven't found it. If so, sorry for the noise. The man page talks about using :h and I assume by extension :t, in parameter substitution. If so I was wondering why "digits" doesn't support a parameter for the number(s) following :h or :t? This would be useful in scripting. print ${DirPath:h$N} ^ does not work Error message: "zsh: unrecognized modifier" I'm not sure if the following is an inconsistency or not. Man page for :t states that 0(zero) is treated the same as 1. Should this also apply to :h? This isn't what currently happens. Did I miss something in the man page or basics of zsh I don't understand? Thanks for listening. Again, sorry if this is just noise. Example of current output for :h and :t TestPath=/dirlev2/dirlev3/dirlev4 :h /dirlev2/dirlev3 :h0 /dirlev2/dirlev3 0 and 1, not the same :h1 / :h2 /dirlev2 :h3 /dirlev2/dirlev3 :h4 /dirlev2/dirlev3/dirlev4 :t dirlev4 :t0 dirlev4 0 and 1, the same :t1 dirlev4 :t2 dirlev3/dirlev4 :t3 dirlev2/dirlev3/dirlev4 :t4 /dirlev2/dirlev3/dirlev4 Regards, Jim Murphy