Sorry if I'm missing some vital context (I here am new), but if the goal is to include the "s" units in the default output of time, that's just a matter of changing `%*E` to `%E` in the default value of TIMEFMT, right? On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 10:36 PM Bart Schaefer wrote: > On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 1:25 AM Peter Stephenson > wrote: > > > > I don't know if anyone is likely to be automatically matching the > > current format? Given the variability of this element presumably not. > > The doc should be updated, though. It specifies the default without > the "s". Your patch also alters the definition of %*E in the value of > TIMEFMT. > > -- Mark J. Reed