FWIW this seems to be a regression introduced in your development branch. Using the 5.9 release, *unset 'mapfile[removable]'* does indeed delete the file. I tested on macOS, Windows+msys2, and Ubuntu. On Sat, Feb 3, 2024 at 11:25 PM Bart Schaefer wrote: > If we're contemplating a release, does anyone else want to eyeball this? > > On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 6:05 PM Bart Schaefer > wrote: > > > > Doc says: > > > > mapfile > > This associative array takes as keys the names of files; the > > resulting value is the content of the file. The value is treated > > identically to any other text coming from a parameter. The value > > may also be assigned to, in which case the file in question is > > written (whether or not it originally existed); or an element may > > be unset, which will delete the file in question. > > > > However: > > > > % touch removable > > % zmodload zsh/mapfile > > % : $mapfile[removable] ; unset 'mapfile[removable]' > > % ls -l removable > > -rw-rw-r-- 1 schaefer schaefer 0 Jan 21 17:17 removable > > > > I tried several variations of this and I can't get mapfile to remove > anything. > > I still haven't worked out what's going on here. > > -- Mark J. Reed