On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Daniel Shahaf wrote: > How can I now, at a given point in time, what will be the next release's > version number? > You can't know. It depends on how significant a release it is. I keep running into situations where I need to refer to a change made in > master using the release number it's expected to first appear in, and when I try to guess what that number will be, I get it wrong. (E.g., > when 5.0.8 was current I wrote "The change will appear in 5.0.9" and > there is no such version. Ditto for 5.1.2/5.2.) > I could say "the change will appear in the release after 5.2", but > that's needlessly complicated: I'd much rather be able to say "The > change will appear in release ${foo}" for one specific value of ${foo}. > What's an example situation? "The change will appear after version X.Y" and "The bug was fixed after version X.Y" both seem reasonable to me for situations that need a description in natural language. For something automated (e.g. `is-at-least X.Y.Z`), you can just assume it will be a patch release, since the version increment will be at least as much as a patch release. Even if no release ever exists with that specific version, the next release will still compare as greater. -- Best, Ben