zsh-workers
* Re: Backgrounding part of 'ssh-agent $cmd'
       [not found] <20130116065951.GA2992__1394.41746655411$1358320461$gmane$org@lp-shahaf.local>
@ 2013-01-16 11:08 ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2013-01-16 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> writes:

> I'd like to remove the complication of an extra tab or explicit ^Z:
> I'd like the workflow to be
>
>     Run foo_main
>     Answer ssh-add password prompt
>     # No interactive wait at this point.
>     Answer the foo_internal password prompt
>     (Use foo; the -MNf's will finish in a second or two.)

FYI, if you use gpg-agent or gnome-keyring instead of ssh-agent, it will
ask for the password interactively/graphically when it's needed the
first time.

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

* Re: Backgrounding part of 'ssh-agent $cmd'
@ 2013-01-16 12:44   ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2013-01-16 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Neukirchen; +Cc: zsh-workers

Christian Neukirchen wrote on Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:08:42 +0100:
> Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> writes:
>
> > I'd like to remove the complication of an extra tab or explicit ^Z:
> > I'd like the workflow to be
> >
> >     Run foo_main
> >     Answer ssh-add password prompt
> >     # No interactive wait at this point.
> >     Answer the foo_internal password prompt
> >     (Use foo; the -MNf's will finish in a second or two.)
>
> FYI, if you use gpg-agent or gnome-keyring instead of ssh-agent, it will
> ask for the password interactively/graphically when it's needed the
> first time.

I don't want to use a daemon that maintains state across hibernate.[1]
Does ssh-agent/gpg-agent/gnome-keyring have a "discard passphrase before
entering hibernate" feature?

Thanks,

Daniel

[1] With my current approach, the only state is the master connection,
and if I hibernate the server will drop it (due to TCP timeout).

* Re: Backgrounding part of 'ssh-agent $cmd'
@ 2013-01-16 13:50     ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2013-01-16 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Shahaf; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> Christian Neukirchen wrote on Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:08:42 +0100:
>> Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> writes:
>>
>> > I'd like to remove the complication of an extra tab or explicit ^Z:
>> > I'd like the workflow to be
>> >
>> >     Run foo_main
>> >     Answer ssh-add password prompt
>> >     # No interactive wait at this point.
>> >     Answer the foo_internal password prompt
>> >     (Use foo; the -MNf's will finish in a second or two.)
>>
>> FYI, if you use gpg-agent or gnome-keyring instead of ssh-agent, it will
>> ask for the password interactively/graphically when it's needed the
>> first time.
>
> I don't want to use a daemon that maintains state across hibernate.[1]
> Does ssh-agent/gpg-agent/gnome-keyring have a "discard passphrase before
> entering hibernate" feature?

You could run ssh-add -D after everything is connected, or in a
pm-suspend hook.  (I enable my screensaver before suspend/hibernate
and remove keys on screensaver activation:
http://chneukirchen.org/dotfiles/bin/xscreensaver-ssh-helper)

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org