Hello, on a somewhat recent version of ZSH, it seems that the comment character is considered part of the arguments of commands ending with a comment: jbm gandia:~[1310]% zsh -f gandia% echo $ZSH_VERSION 5.3.1 gandia% setopt interactive_comments gandia% echo $histchars[3] # gandia% echo test # My comment sentence. test gandia% echo !:$ echo # gandia% echo 'another test' ### Several commenting characters another test gandia% echo !:$ echo # gandia% echo yet another test # My comment here yet another test gandia% echo !:* echo yet another test # yet another test I would find it more helpful to have the commenting character not considered part of the arguments, like bash does. -- jbm