From: "Marc Cornellà" <hello@mcornella.com>
To: zsh-workers@zsh.org
Subject: RPS* and RPROMPT* are no longer tied since zsh 5.0.6
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 11:03:58 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi all,

doing some testing I've found that, when either RPS1 or RPROMPT are
unset (but not both), changes in one of them are not reflected in the
other. The same happens with RPS2 and RPROMPT2.
The same does not happen with PS* and PROMPT*.

% zsh_test_versions 'RPS1=abcd; echo RPS1=$RPS1 RPROMPT=$RPROMPT'    #
function in https://github.com/mcornella/dotfiles/blob/4bf802f6/functions#L78-L118
4.3.11: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=abcd
4.3.12: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=abcd
4.3.13: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=abcd
4.3.14: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=abcd
4.3.15: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=abcd
4.3.16: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=abcd
4.3.17: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=abcd
5.0.0: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=abcd
5.0.1: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=abcd
5.0.2: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=abcd
5.0.3: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=abcd
5.0.4: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=abcd
5.0.5: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=abcd
5.0.6: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.0.7: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.0.8: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.1: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.1.1: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.2: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.3: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.3.1: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.4: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.4.1: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.4.2: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.5: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.5.1: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.6: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.6.1: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.6.2: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.7: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.7.1: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
5.8: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=
master: RPS1=abcd RPROMPT=

I can work around that, but should this be considered a bug or is this intended?

--
Marc Cornellà