I had tried tput cup $LINES $((COLUMNS-1)) and tput cup $LINES $COLUMNS. Vared seems to clear the entire line of cursor, not just from cursor position to the end of line. Not sure if this has something to do with xterm-256color and tmux-256color, unlike the description of tput el "clear to end of line". On all the terminals I have tested this on, they clear from beginning of current line to the end. My machine is: Apple Silicon macOS 13.1. Did that really work on your machine? On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 9:20 PM Bart Schaefer wrote: > On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 7:52 PM OG Code Poet wrote: > > > > Here's some more context. > > So ... vared sends the clear-to-end-of-screen before printing the > prompt, then starts ZLE and clears again after ZLE exits. This means > your job, in creating a workaround, is to move the cursor to the lower > right corner of the screen before calling vared, move it to the > desired position before printing the prompt, and move back to the > lower right again before ending ZLE. > > This translates approximately to: > > to-lower-right() { tput cup $LINES $((COLUMNS-1)) } > zle -N to-lower-right > tput sc > to-lower-right > vared -f to-lower-right -p "%{$(tput cup 0 0)%}Enter something: " ... > tput rc > > Other tricks may be needed to keep a newline from being output when > pressing ENTER to accept the edit. > > If this is unsatisfactory, you could try using zcurses to manage the > display, which I think would allow you to always redraw whatever vared > erased. >