* Logo
@ 2019-06-04 23:37 Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-04 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I was wondering if you would be interested in a free, no strings attached
logo. FWIW I was the art director for the Bash logo.

Thanks

Regards,

Justin Dorfman
@jdorfman <http://www.twitter.com/jdorfman>

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-04 23:56 ` Jérémie Roquet
From: Jérémie Roquet @ 2019-06-04 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

Hi Justin,

Le mer. 5 juin 2019 à 01:37, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> a écrit :
> I was wondering if you would be interested in a free, no strings attached
> logo. FWIW I was the art director for the Bash logo.

I'm just a long time zsh user and lurker here, but I'd definitely have
a zsh sticker on my laptop if it had a logo as nice as the bash logo
:)

AFAIK, zsh doesn't have one currently; the closest to an actual logo
I've found is the favicon of zsh.org

Best regards,

--
Jérémie

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-05  0:09   ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-05  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémie Roquet; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

Yeah I mean with macOS switching to Zsh by default I think having a proper
identity would be great. I see people using the "oh my zsh" logo as the
"Zsh" logo which isn't correct.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 4:56 PM Jérémie Roquet <jroquet@arkanosis.net> wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> Le mer. 5 juin 2019 à 01:37, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
> > I was wondering if you would be interested in a free, no strings attached
> > logo. FWIW I was the art director for the Bash logo.
>
> I'm just a long time zsh user and lurker here, but I'd definitely have
> a zsh sticker on my laptop if it had a logo as nice as the bash logo
> :)
>
> AFAIK, zsh doesn't have one currently; the closest to an actual logo
> I've found is the favicon of zsh.org
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Jérémie

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-05  0:13     ` Andrew J. Rech
From: Andrew J. Rech @ 2019-06-05  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Dorfman; +Cc: Jérémie Roquet, Zsh Hackers' List

Same category of user here as Jérémie. I would love to see this. Thank you for offering.

> On Jun 4, 2019, at 20:09, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah I mean with macOS switching to Zsh by default I think having a proper
> identity would be great. I see people using the "oh my zsh" logo as the
> "Zsh" logo which isn't correct.
>
> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>
> Regards,
>
> Justin Dorfman
> @jdorfman <http://www.twitter.com/jdorfman>
>

> On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 4:56 PM Jérémie Roquet <jroquet@arkanosis.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Justin,
>>
>> Le mer. 5 juin 2019 à 01:37, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> a
>> écrit :
>>> I was wondering if you would be interested in a free, no strings attached
>>> logo. FWIW I was the art director for the Bash logo.
>>
>> I'm just a long time zsh user and lurker here, but I'd definitely have
>> a zsh sticker on my laptop if it had a logo as nice as the bash logo
>> :)
>>
>> AFAIK, zsh doesn't have one currently; the closest to an actual logo
>> I've found is the favicon of zsh.org
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> --
>> Jérémie

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-05  0:43       ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-05  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew J. Rech; +Cc: Jérémie Roquet, Zsh Hackers' List

My pleasure, from my experience it is best to get buy-in and a sign off
from a core maintainer. Until then I'll hold.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 5:13 PM Andrew J. Rech <rech@rech.io> wrote:

> Same category of user here as Jérémie. I would love to see this. Thank you
> for offering.
>
> > On Jun 4, 2019, at 20:09, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah I mean with macOS switching to Zsh by default I think having a
> proper
> > identity would be great. I see people using the "oh my zsh" logo as the
> > "Zsh" logo which isn't correct.
> >
> > ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Justin Dorfman
> > @jdorfman <http://www.twitter.com/jdorfman>
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 4:56 PM Jérémie Roquet <jroquet@arkanosis.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Justin,

> attached
> >>
> >> I'm just a long time zsh user and lurker here, but I'd definitely have
> >> a zsh sticker on my laptop if it had a logo as nice as the bash logo
> >> :)
> >>
> >> AFAIK, zsh doesn't have one currently; the closest to an actual logo
> >> I've found is the favicon of zsh.org
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jérémie

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-05  7:56 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2019-06-05  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: zsh-workers

Justin Dorfman wrote:
> I was wondering if you would be interested in a free, no strings attached
> logo. FWIW I was the art director for the Bash logo.

Definitely. That would be great.

J??r??mie Roquet wrote:
> AFAIK, zsh doesn't have one currently; the closest to an actual logo
> I've found is the favicon of zsh.org

I'm afraid the favicon is about the limit of my artistic abilities using
xpaint 20 years ago. A big Z is not particularly original but works
fairly well as a favicon. I always thought the old wizard image from the
website was very appropriate for zsh but he's shrunk a lot with every
monitor upgrade over the years.

> I see people using the "oh my zsh" logo as the "Zsh" logo which isn't correct.

It's not correct in more ways than one given that it even renders the
shell prompt as a Bourne style "$" rather than the zsh default of "%".

OliverL

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-05 15:52   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2019-06-05 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: justindorfman

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 12:57 AM Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Justin Dorfman wrote:
> > I was wondering if you would be interested in a free, no strings attached
> > logo. FWIW I was the art director for the Bash logo.
>
> Definitely. That would be great.

Agree.  At the risk of being pushy, maybe a few options to choose from?

> > I see people using the "oh my zsh" logo as the "Zsh" logo which isn't correct.
>
> It's not correct in more ways than one

In related news, nic.sh responds:
Z is not a valid domain name for .sh. It is too short. Minimum 2 chars.

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-05 16:50     ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-05 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

@Oliver you give me the go ahead and I'll make it happen.

@Bart
> Agree.  At the risk of being pushy, maybe a few options to choose from?

Not pushy at all. That is what we did for the bash logo:
https://opensource.com/article/16/12/bash-logo-community

The logo will belong to the Zsh community, they should help choose IMO.

@ 2019-06-06 20:12       ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2019-06-06 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers, Justin Dorfman

On Wed, 2019-06-05 at 09:50 -0700, Justin Dorfman wrote:
> @Oliver you give me the go ahead and I'll make it happen.
>
> @Bart
> > Agree.  At the risk of being pushy, maybe a few options to choose from?
>
> Not pushy at all. That is what we did for the bash logo:
> https://opensource.com/article/16/12/bash-logo-community
>
> The logo will belong to the Zsh community, they should help choose IMO.

I think you can assume we're all receptive and you should go ahead.

(I'm assuming someone is going to be geared up enough actually to update
the website etc. when the time comes...)

Thank you
pws

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-07  0:26         ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-07  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

Sounds good Peter. I'll be in touch.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 1:12 PM Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-06-05 at 09:50 -0700, Justin Dorfman wrote:
> > @Oliver you give me the go ahead and I'll make it happen.
> >
> > @Bart
> > > Agree.  At the risk of being pushy, maybe a few options to choose from?
> >
> > Not pushy at all. That is what we did for the bash logo:
> > https://opensource.com/article/16/12/bash-logo-community
> >
> > The logo will belong to the Zsh community, they should help choose IMO.
>
> I think you can assume we're all receptive and you should go ahead.
>
> (I'm assuming someone is going to be geared up enough actually to update
> the website etc. when the time comes...)
>
> Thank you
> pws

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-14 20:55           ` Justin Dorfman
From: Justin Dorfman @ 2019-06-14 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

Hey everyone,

Got an update: my employer said they will sponsor the design! I assigned a
Trello task to our design team and will follow up with them next week. At
the moment I don't have an ETA but I will keep everyone posted once I have
more info. =)

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 5:26 PM Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sounds good Peter. I'll be in touch.
>
> Regards,
>
> Justin Dorfman
> @jdorfman <http://www.twitter.com/jdorfman>
>

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 1:12 PM Peter Stephenson <
> p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2019-06-05 at 09:50 -0700, Justin Dorfman wrote:
>> > @Oliver you give me the go ahead and I'll make it happen.
>> >
>> > @Bart
>> from?
>> >
>> > Not pushy at all. That is what we did for the bash logo:
>> > https://opensource.com/article/16/12/bash-logo-community
>> >
>> > The logo will belong to the Zsh community, they should help choose IMO.
>>
>> I think you can assume we're all receptive and you should go ahead.
>>
>> (I'm assuming someone is going to be geared up enough actually to update
>> the website etc. when the time comes...)
>>
>> Thank you
>> pws

* Re: Logo
@ 2019-06-15  9:39             ` Jérémie Roquet
From: Jérémie Roquet @ 2019-06-15  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: justindorfman; +Cc: Zsh Hackers' List

Hi Justin,

Le ven. 14 juin 2019 à 22:56, Justin Dorfman <justindorfman@gmail.com> a écrit :
> Got an update: my employer said they will sponsor the design! I assigned a
> Trello task to our design team and will follow up with them next week. At
> the moment I don't have an ETA but I will keep everyone posted once I have
> more info. =)

Awesome news, thank you!

--
Jérémie