Thank you Barton for help and information. I think there is simple workarounds for this that we can document in dotenv, and luckily this is just osx issue. On Sun, May 8, 2016, 7:14 PM Bart Schaefer wrote: > On May 7, 4:21pm, Jacob Lowe wrote: > } > } From the feedback in the ticket, it seems this is happening in ZSH only > and > } when logging into bash the command works as expected. I also tried > } something very similar in ruby and got the same result. > } > } TEST='=test' ruby -e 'puts ENV["TEST"]' > > Peter's discovery that this is a documented feature of iOS / OSX "setenv" > points to the obvious workaround: > > TEST='==test' ruby -e 'puts ENV["TEST"]' > > > -- > Barton E. Schaefer >