Here is the promised NEWS item that documents the ERR_EXIT fixes. Unfortunately, explaining what changes isn't that easy because only rather involved cases are affected. I couldn't make it shorter than what is in the patch. And I still omitted the even more involved case fixed by 51071: fix ERR_RETURN for functions in conditional statements . An alternative would be to simply state that a number of ERR_EXIT bugs affecting only corner cases were fixed, without trying to describe the cases. Philippe