zsh-workers
From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com>
To: Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com>
Cc: Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@zsh.org>
Subject: Re: ERRNO is unset until set
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:02:53 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 3:00 AM Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:

> When is this good or useful?

I was wondering that myself.  The only thing I can think of is to make
${+ERRNO} show the "right" thing.

Archive search is still offline (and I'm not sure it would help
anyway) so I can't find the discussion that led up my patch from
32337, but it seems to me that was intended to be just a first step to
causing some of those variables to be non-special when zsh is started
in emulation mode.  The second step just never happened, or at least
not comprehensively.

I'm no longer even sure why ERRNO was included, there's no reference
to it in the POSIX shell specification.  Clash with some other shell?
But which one?