I wrote most of this up in response to someone's off-list question and thought it worth throwing in. PWS, feel free to move it out of chapter 2 if it would go better elsewhere ... I didn't want to mess up numbering and cross-references by attempting to add a whole new chapter. Also made some (but probably not all that are needed) edits to bring a few answers and acknowledgements up to date. I'm not sure after 28 years that I still deserve special mention for making suggestions, but left that alone.