Suggestions for additional tests? Some remarks on these tests: 1) In the example ${| print -v REPLY one word here; setopt shwordsplit } Although the current context is used so the setopt persists after the command is executed, the substitution code has already decided what options apply to the result, so the words in this example are not split. It would be pretty complicated to invert that. 2) It occurred to me that ${|var| ...} is just another way to write ${${| ...}:-$var} (if REPLY remains unset). So the former could be dropped with no loss of functionality, if consensus deems it to be fluff. 3) Note that ${|...} always substitutes at least an empty string, so ${${|...}-alt} is never "alt". 4) In the example print ${|return 1} $? The value printed for $? is 1 but the status of the whole expression is 0, that is, it is the status of the "print" command. 5) If a test sets the errreturn option, the whole test harness breaks silently. I encountered some other instances of that too, e.g., only about half of the tests were run but the harness still reported "all tests successful". 6) While writing the above I thought of another test I could add. Later.