On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Sebastian Gniazdowski < sgniazdowski@gmail.com> wrote: > My new observations: > – the "ndash", .i.e. this char: >>> – <<<, has a role, because > replacing it with other char, also one like §, stops core dump > Your stack trace in the first message on this thread has a string as the "exp" argument of patcompile() that makes me suspicious. The comments say that this argument is expected to be metafied (pattern.c 522), but as best I can tell it's passed down from paramsubst() tokenized but not metafied. (I don't have access to my usual debugging platform this week.) One of the multibyte characters in the string