Ok, thanks for the clarification. On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 2:44 PM Bart Schaefer wrote: > On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 1:00 AM Liu Xin wrote: > > > > I hold the wrong impression that zsh is compatible with bash. I just > assume it because I see both Ubuntu and MacOS have replaced bash with it. > > Zsh is mostly compatible with POSIX shell provided that it is invoked > via the name "sh" (e.g., when linked to /bin/sh). Bash is similarly > compatible with POSIX when run this way. When run under their own > names, zsh and bash differ from POSIX in different ways. > > Apple and Ubuntu appear to have concluded that zsh's POSIX > compatibility is sufficient to use it as "sh". I won't speculate on > other motivations. >