Thank you for your clarification Best regards On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 4:26 PM Bart Schaefer wrote: > On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 12:15 AM Mohamed Jebali > wrote: > > > > My suggestion is to pause the output of the current command when I'm > typing and then resume it when I either hit enter or escape. > > This has nothing to do with the shell and everything to do with the > terminal (or emulator) that you are using. > > While a foreground command is running, the shell is entirely stopped, > waiting for that command to finish. It does not see or react to your > keystrokes. Even the ^C interrupt is processed by the terminal > (strictly, the terminal and its I/O driver) and translated into a > signal sent to the foreground command. > > So when you "type ahead" it is the terminal that is collecting and > buffering your keystrokes, which are then finally read by whatever > first asks for more input, which is the shell if and only if the > foreground command never wants to read from the terminal. > > You wouldn't want the behavior you've described during an editor > session, for example, or a pager. >