On 18 October 2015 at 23:07, Bart Schaefer wrote: > Sorry, I didn't mean order of zsh versions, I meant did you try doing > array_test before string_test within each version. That's what I did > String is stored as one contiguous block of bytes, so each time it exceeds > the size of the current heap block an entire new large-enough block is > allocated, and no previous block can never be re-used because the string > never shrinks. How can 5.1.1-dev-0 with no patches maintain low memory usage for strings then? # string_test 3.3, 7.8, 9.4, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 12, 11, 12, 11, 12, last: 11 > For functions the test would also need to compare run time / CPU usage - I > would not expect memory usage to be interesting unless the function declared > locals. The function test has two samples more (7 vs. 9), taken in intervals of 3 seconds, so there is a difference. Best regards, Sebastian Gniazdowski