* send-break or EOF exit the shell in "vared"
@ 2020-02-09  8:33 Stephane Chazelas
From: Stephane Chazelas @ 2020-02-09  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

For context, that's still about trying to answer that "how to
add a timeout to `vared`" question at
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/565718/zsh-timeout-for-vared-builtin

I was thinking: vared uses zle, zle is fully programmable, that
shouldn't be too difficult. But so far I've not been able to do
it without a subshell and I ran in a few unexpected behaviours.

In:

zsh -c 'vared -c foo; echo $? $foo'

If I press ^G (send-break widget), that exits the shell (with
status 0), not just "vared".

With:

zsh -c '{ vared -c a; } always { TRY_BLOCK_ERROR=0; echo in always; }; echo $? $a'

Upon ^G, the "always" block is run, but that still exits the
shell (with status 2 this time) despite the TRY_BLOCK_ERROR=0

With:

zle-line-init() stty -icanon time 10 min 0 <&2
zle -N zle-line-init
{
  vared -c var
} always {
  TRY_BLOCK_ERROR=0
  print in always
}
echo "$? $var"

That is where a read() on the terminal will return 0 (EOF) if
nothing is entered within a second, the shell exits as well
(with status 1) not just vared, the "always" block is not run.
Same with vared -e.

My other approaches trying to use TMOUT and a SIGALRM trap or a
zle -F handler that invokes send-break or accept-line (or queues
^G/^M with zle -U) haven't been successful either (either exit
the shell or don't exit zle straight away or at all).

--
Stephane

* Re: send-break or EOF exit the shell in "vared"
@ 2020-02-09  9:09 ` Stephane Chazelas
From: Stephane Chazelas @ 2020-02-09  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

2020-02-09 08:33:16 +0000, Stephane Chazelas:
[...]
> zsh -c 'vared -c foo; echo $? $foo'
>
> If I press ^G (send-break widget), that exits the shell (with
> status 0), not just "vared".
[...]

Looks like a regression. That changed in 5.0.8, 5.0.7 was fine.
git bisect points at: https://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2015/msg00843.html
which was about avoiding syntax error messages upon ^C/^G/push-input.

Setting the "continueonerror" option doesn't help.

doc says:

send-break (^G ESC-^G) (unbound) (unbound)
     Abort the current editor function, e.g.  execute-named-command, or
     the editor itself, e.g.  if you are in vared.  Otherwise abort the
     parsing of the current line; in this case the aborted line is
     available in the shell variable ZLE_LINE_ABORTED.  If the editor is
     aborted from within vared, the variable ZLE_VARED_ABORTED is set.

So it is indeed a bug.

I suppose there's also the question of what push-line,
push-input should do in vared.

--

@ 2020-02-10 17:03 ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2020-02-10 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)