* Test release: 5.6.2-test-3
@ 2019-01-05  7:08 dana
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: dana @ 2019-01-05  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh workers

I've tagged 5.6.2-test-3 and uploaded the artefacts to:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/zsh/files/zsh-test/5.6.2-test-3

Hope i did this right. If someone could please glance at it to make sure that
would be nice. Thanks Daniel and Peter for helping me.

PS: Building the docs on macOS is an insane ordeal. After messing with it for
almost an hour i finally got to the point where i had to install X11 to
generate the PDF and decided it just wasn't worth it. I ended up building on
an old Linux lap-top. If anyone's done this on macOS before and knows a trick
to it that doesn't require a million weird dependencies, please let me know

PPS: Notes/docs on zsh.org were never updated for 5.6.x. I haven't done that
now, but i'll look into it later

dana

* Re: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3
@ 2019-01-05 17:49 ` Peter Stephenson
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2019-01-05 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh workers

On Sat, 2019-01-05 at 01:08 -0600, dana wrote:
> I've tagged 5.6.2-test-3 and uploaded the artefacts to:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/zsh/files/zsh-test/5.6.2-test-3
>
> Hope i did this right. If someone could please glance at it to make sure that
> would be nice. Thanks Daniel and Peter for helping me.

Looks pretty much OK, thanks.

One thing, now I've been forced to do a proper comparison for once, is
that it looks like the Doc/help directory you've supplied isn't up to
date --- at least it's different from what I get and what I've got shows
signs of recent additions.  Tru removing Doc/help.txt and making in that
directory again.  I dare say the dependencies for that aren't complete.
(I'd love to be able to move to rake and have all this dynamic but that
isn't going to happen.)

By the way, in case anyone's infuriated by trying to automate downloads
from Sourceforge, it *does* work with wget (I've got 1.19.4 from Ubuntu
18.04 as I've finally joined the modern world and bought a laptop with
Ubuntu pre-installed):

wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/zsh/files/zsh-test/5.6.2-test-3/zsh-5.6.2-test-3.tar.xz/download

except that the file you get is called "download", but a bit of
scripting will fix that.

pws

* Re: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3
@ 2019-01-05 18:42   ` dana
From: dana @ 2019-01-05 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: Zsh workers

On 5 Jan 2019, at 11:49, Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>One thing, now I've been forced to do a proper comparison for once, is
>that it looks like the Doc/help directory you've supplied isn't up to
>date --- at least it's different from what I get and what I've got shows
>signs of recent additions.  Tru removing Doc/help.txt and making in that
>directory again.  I dare say the dependencies for that aren't complete.

Hmm, no idea what i did wrong, it was a fresh clone so there shouldn't have
been any junk in the repo. But i did it again and now it looks right, so....
Sorry about that. I'll double-check it the next time i do one of these.

dana

* Re: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3
@ 2019-01-05 20:58   ` Martijn Dekker
From: Martijn Dekker @ 2019-01-05 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Op 05-01-19 om 18:49 schreef Peter Stephenson:
> wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/zsh/files/zsh-test/5.6.2-test-3/zsh-5.6.2-test-3.tar.xz/download
>
> except that the file you get is called "download", but a bit of
> scripting will fix that.

To get the correct file name, you can use URLs like:
https://download.sourceforge.net/zsh/zsh-5.6.2-test-3.tar.xz

- M.

* Re: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3
@ 2019-01-05 21:55     ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2019-01-05 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Martijn Dekker wrote on Sat, 05 Jan 2019 21:58 +0100:
> Op 05-01-19 om 18:49 schreef Peter Stephenson:
> > wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/zsh/files/zsh-test/5.6.2-test-3/zsh-5.6.2-test-3.tar.xz/download
> >
> > except that the file you get is called "download", but a bit of
> > scripting will fix that.

No need for scripting; just pass --content-disposition to wget (the flag
takes no argument).

> To get the correct file name, you can use URLs like:
> https://download.sourceforge.net/zsh/zsh-5.6.2-test-3.tar.xz

Should we use this link on http://zsh.sf.net/Arc/source.html and in the
release email announcement?

* Re: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3
@ 2019-01-06  2:37 ` Axel Beckert
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Axel Beckert @ 2019-01-06  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi dana,

On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 01:08:02AM -0600, dana wrote:
> I've tagged 5.6.2-test-3 and uploaded the artefacts to:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/zsh/files/zsh-test/5.6.2-test-3

JFTR: The test suite failures on 32-bit architectures are indeed gone
with this:
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=zsh&suite=experimental

		Kind regards, Axel
--
PGP: 2FF9CD59612616B5      /~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign, http://arc.pasp.de/
Mail: abe@deuxchevaux.org  \ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and Usenet

* Re: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3
@ 2019-01-06 15:12 ` Jun T.
From: Jun T. @ 2019-01-06 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

> 2019/01/05 16:08, dana <dana@dana.is> wrote:
>
> PS: Building the docs on macOS is an insane ordeal. After messing with it for
> almost an hour i finally got to the point where i had to install X11 to
> generate the PDF and decided it just wasn't worth it. I ended up building on
> an old Linux lap-top. If anyone's done this on macOS before and knows a trick
> to it that doesn't require a million weird dependencies, please let me know

Are you having problems while trying to install yodl?
Or yodl has been successfully installed but still
can't generate PDF?

* Re: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3
@ 2019-01-06 16:37   ` dana
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: dana @ 2019-01-06 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun T.; +Cc: zsh-workers

On 6 Jan 2019, at 09:12, Jun T. <takimoto-j@kba.biglobe.ne.jp> wrote:
>Are you having problems while trying to install yodl?
>Or yodl has been successfully installed but still
>can't generate PDF?

I've got yodl — cherry-picked from MacPorts, since Homebrew doesn't have it.
Building the man/HTML pages with that is no problem once i've got it.

For the PDF, i needed TeX, which the normal Homebrew repo also doesn't have i
guess because it's similarly complicated to build on macOS. Homebrew Cask has
the MacTeX distribution, but the full thing is over 3 GiB, which is silly. I
found the 'basic' distribution, though, and then i needed to manually install
the texinfo thing for it, and after all that i thought i'd be OK, but
apparently TeX needs X11 to generate the PDF for some reason (font stuff, i
assume).

On balance, X11 is probably smaller and easier to install than TeX. Still, it
felt excessive.

dana

* Re: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3
@ 2019-01-06 16:43     ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2019-01-06 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

dana wrote on Sun, 06 Jan 2019 10:37 -0600:
> On 6 Jan 2019, at 09:12, Jun T. <takimoto-j@kba.biglobe.ne.jp> wrote:
> >Are you having problems while trying to install yodl?
> >Or yodl has been successfully installed but still
> >can't generate PDF?
>
> I've got yodl — cherry-picked from MacPorts, since Homebrew doesn't have it.
> Building the man/HTML pages with that is no problem once i've got it.
>
> For the PDF, i needed TeX, which the normal Homebrew repo also doesn't have i
> guess because it's similarly complicated to build on macOS. Homebrew Cask has
> the MacTeX distribution, but the full thing is over 3 GiB, which is silly. I
> found the 'basic' distribution, though, and then i needed to manually install
> the texinfo thing for it, and after all that i thought i'd be OK, but
> apparently TeX needs X11 to generate the PDF for some reason (font stuff, i
> assume).
>
> On balance, X11 is probably smaller and easier to install than TeX. Still, it
> felt excessive.

I doubt that you need the entire 3 GiB of it.  I have only
2.3 GiB of texlive-* packages installed [1], and I use TeX for non-zsh
stuff too.  It's probably pulling half of CTAN (the TeX library
packages archive), while you only need core LaTeX and whichever
\usepackage{} packages yodl and texinfo need

Cheers,

Daniel

[1] dpkg -L $(dpkg -l texlive | awk '{print $2}') | perl -lnE '$a += -s if -e; end { say $a }'

* Re: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3
@ 2019-01-06 16:56       ` dana
From: dana @ 2019-01-06 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Shahaf; +Cc: zsh-workers

On 6 Jan 2019, at 10:43, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>I doubt that you need the entire 3 GiB of it.  I have only
>2.3 GiB of texlive-* packages installed [1]

Yeah. On Ubuntu i was able to just do `apt-get build-dep zsh` and it installed
the right packages for it. Without X11 (which i already had obv), it wasn't
too extreme

dana

* Re: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3
@ 2019-01-06 21:34     ` Daniel Tameling
From: Daniel Tameling @ 2019-01-06 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Sun, Jan 06, 2019 at 10:37:20AM -0600, dana wrote:
> On 6 Jan 2019, at 09:12, Jun T. <takimoto-j@kba.biglobe.ne.jp> wrote:
> >Are you having problems while trying to install yodl?
> >Or yodl has been successfully installed but still
> >can't generate PDF?
>
> I've got yodl — cherry-picked from MacPorts, since Homebrew doesn't have it.
> Building the man/HTML pages with that is no problem once i've got it.
>
> For the PDF, i needed TeX, which the normal Homebrew repo also doesn't have i
> guess because it's similarly complicated to build on macOS. Homebrew Cask has
> the MacTeX distribution, but the full thing is over 3 GiB, which is silly. I
> found the 'basic' distribution, though, and then i needed to manually install
> the texinfo thing for it, and after all that i thought i'd be OK, but
> apparently TeX needs X11 to generate the PDF for some reason (font stuff, i
> assume).
>
> On balance, X11 is probably smaller and easier to install than TeX. Still, it
> felt excessive.
>
> dana

Hi,

you might want to try MacPorts also for TeX. They split the whole
distribution up into smaller packages:
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/TeXLivePackages
If you're lucky, texlive-basic is already enough. I think the package
has some hidden X11 dependencies, so if you're really lucky, that's
all you need. If not, there is also the xorg package, which feels
significantly smaller than TeX, but I might be mistaken on that one.

I have both, TeX and X11, installed but stilled failed to build the
entire documentation because roff2ps is missing. So this might not be
the end for you if you want to try it again.

--
Best,
Daniel

* Re: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3
@ 2019-01-07  3:25     ` Jun T
From: Jun T @ 2019-01-07  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

> 2019/01/07 1:37, dana <dana@dana.is> wrote:
>
> For the PDF, i needed TeX, which the normal Homebrew repo also doesn't have i
> guess because it's similarly complicated to build on macOS. Homebrew Cask has
> the MacTeX distribution, but the full thing is over 3 GiB, which is silly. I
> found the 'basic' distribution, though, and then i needed to manually install
> the texinfo thing for it, and after all that i thought i'd be OK, but
> apparently TeX needs X11 to generate the PDF for some reason (font stuff, i
> assume).

I'm using the binary distribution from http://www.tug.org/mactex/
(MacTeX.pkg, 3.2GB) and it works fine. It also includes gs (ghostscript)
and ps2pdf. Of course X11 is NOT required.

# I haven't tried the BasicTeX.pkg and don't know whether it works or not.

Can you create PDF from a simple LaTeX source by pdflatex command?

> 2019/01/07 6:34, Daniel Tameling <tamelingdaniel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have both, TeX and X11, installed but stilled failed to build the
> entire documentation because roff2ps is missing. So this might not be
> the end for you if you want to try it again.

I'm using /usr/bin/groff in place of roff2ps and it seems to work.
Create a script like

#!/bin/sh
groff -T ps "$@"

name it roff2ps, and put it somewhere in your PATH.

* Re: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3
@ 2019-01-07  7:02       ` dana
From: dana @ 2019-01-07  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun T; +Cc: zsh-workers

On 6 Jan 2019, at 21:25, Jun T <takimoto-j@kba.biglobe.ne.jp> wrote:
>I'm using the binary distribution from http://www.tug.org/mactex/
>(MacTeX.pkg, 3.2GB) and it works fine. It also includes gs (ghostscript)
>and ps2pdf. Of course X11 is NOT required.
>
># I haven't tried the BasicTeX.pkg and don't know whether it works or not.
>
>Can you create PDF from a simple LaTeX source by pdflatex command?

I didn't have a TeX file so i just tried to make the docs again. This time it
worked. I wish i could say what error i got before, but it's scrolled off my
buffer by now. I think it might have been the one Phil was getting in
workers/33415, which is what got it into my head that X11 was required.

Anyway, i guess it works. Thanks everyone for trying to help, and sorry for
the apparently unnecessary complaining :/

dana

* ETA for zsh 5.7? (was: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-01-21 12:54 ` Axel Beckert
From: Axel Beckert @ 2019-01-21 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 01:08:02AM -0600, dana wrote:
> I've tagged 5.6.2-test-3 and uploaded the artefacts to:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/zsh/files/zsh-test/5.6.2-test-3

Any ETA for the final 5.7 release?

We're very close to the freeze[1] for Debian 10 Buster and I'd like to be
able to ship zsh 5.7 with it.

[1] https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html

I use it on at least two machines (my workstation at home and my
thinkpad) and I didn't run into any issues so far.

		Kind regards, Axel
--
PGP: 2FF9CD59612616B5      /~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign, http://arc.pasp.de/
Mail: abe@deuxchevaux.org  \ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and Usenet
Mail+Jabber: abe@noone.org  X
https://axel.beckert.ch/   / \  I love long mails: https://email.is-not-s.ms/

* Re: ETA for zsh 5.7? (was: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3)
@ 2019-01-21 14:26   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2019-01-21 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Mon, 2019-01-21 at 13:54 +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 01:08:02AM -0600, dana wrote:
> >
> > I've tagged 5.6.2-test-3 and uploaded the artefacts to:
> >
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/zsh/files/zsh-test/5.6.2-test-3
> Any ETA for the final 5.7 release?

I'm not waiting for anything myself.

pws

* Re: ETA for zsh 5.7? (was: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3)
@ 2019-01-21 19:14     ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2019-01-21 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers

On 1/21/19, Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@samsung.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-01-21 at 13:54 +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 01:08:02AM -0600, dana wrote:
>> >
>> > I've tagged 5.6.2-test-3 and uploaded the artefacts to:
>> >
>> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/zsh/files/zsh-test/5.6.2-test-3
>> Any ETA for the final 5.7 release?
>
> I'm not waiting for anything myself.

commit de31fe1f93890bce6cac1d443c7213b61fc512f5 breaks all colors in
my prompt, so I'd rather not see a release without this fixed.

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: ETA for zsh 5.7? (was: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3)
@ 2019-01-21 19:32       ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2019-01-21 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers

On 1/21/19, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/21/19, Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@samsung.com> wrote:

>>> Any ETA for the final 5.7 release?
>>
>> I'm not waiting for anything myself.
>
> commit de31fe1f93890bce6cac1d443c7213b61fc512f5 breaks all colors in
> my prompt, so I'd rather not see a release without this fixed.

With the commit reverted,
% print -P %F{10}hello|cat -v
^[[38;5;10mhello

With the commit applied,
% print -P %F{10}hello|cat -v
^[[38;5;8;5;10mhello

I don't know what the purpose of the commit is, the message is very
unclear, it also doesn't appear to modify any documentation. I have
fg_start_code defined in zle_highlight and it worked up to that
commit. Blindly appending 8;5; to my custom start code seems extremely
broken and I have no idea under what circumstances it would ever be
correct to do so. In fact it directly contradicts the documentation:

fg_start_code (\e[3)
   The  start  of the escape sequence for the foreground colour.  This
is followed by an ASCII digit representing the colour.

8;5; is clearly not an ASCII digit.

--
Mikael Magnusson

From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2019-01-21 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers

@ 2019-01-21 21:56         ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2019-01-21 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: Peter Stephenson, zsh-workers

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 at 20:32, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@gmail.com> wrote:

> With the commit applied,
> % print -P %F{10}hello|cat -v
> ^[[38;5;8;5;10mhello

Following debugs shows that:
1. For color > 7, a termcap-route was being used, ignoring the fg_start_code
2. For color <= 7, the same termap-route was being used ignoring the
fg_start_code.
3. The fg_start_code-route is used only for colors <= 7 in some
other circumstances (I'm occuring this normally for an
region_highlight--&-colors<=7-utilizing code.)

http://sprunge.us/GcRDpx
(also attached as debug.txt)

So basically, Mikachu has following setting:

zle_highlight=( fg_start_code:$'\e[38;5;' )

It's always using termcap for color >= 8,, because of this line ~1983
in prompt.c::

    if (!def && (colour > 7 || use_termcap)) {

But also, the `use_termcap' is apparently always being set if colur > 7.

But the new code, NEVER IGNORES fg_start_code if it's different from
the default «\e[». So the code starts to finally use the fg_start_code
and problems appear. The problems come from the fact that: the are
additional fields needed in zle_highlight, to make it fully usable.
With the new code it IS usable as it is basically USED after all when
set, so e.g. a debugging code (the X04 tests) can use the
zle_highlight mechanism reliably.

> Blindly appending 8;5; to my custom start code seems extremely
> broken and I have no idea under what circumstances it would ever be
> correct to do so. In fact it directly contradicts the documentation:
>
> fg_start_code (\e[3)
>    The  start  of the escape sequence for the foreground colour.  This
> is followed by an ASCII digit representing the colour.
>
> 8;5; is clearly not an ASCII digit.

Ok, but the documentation also misses the fact that in the OLD code,
for col > 7 termcap is used anyway, and also the same for col <= 7, if
the color is invoked in `print -P %F{5}' and possibly other situations
(but not always, region_highlight utilizing the first 8 colors does
use fg_start_code also in the old code).

--
Sebastian Gniazdowski
News: https://twitter.com/ZdharmaI

[-- Attachment #2: debug.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2875 bytes --]

Doing: print -P %F{10}hello | cat -v

The debug logs (code at the bottom):

Yes, using termcap, color:10 / tccolors:256 / use_termcap:268435456
Yes, using termcap, color:10 / tccolors:256 / use_termcap:268435456
NOT, using termcap, 7 / 256 / 0
Appended [^[[38;5;] to the colseq_buf[^[[38;5;]
NOT, using termcap, 0 / 256 / 0
Appended [^[[38;5;] to the colseq_buf[^[[38;5;]
Yes, using termcap, 63 / 256 / 268435456
NOT, using termcap, 0 / 256 / 0
Appended [^[[38;5;] to the colseq_buf[^[[38;5;]
NOT, using termcap, 7 / 256 / 0
Appended [^[[38;5;] to the colseq_buf[^[[38;5;]
NOT, using termcap, 0 / 256 / 0
Appended [^[[38;5;] to the colseq_buf[^[[38;5;]
Yes, using termcap, 63 / 256 / 268435456
NOT, using termcap, 0 / 256 / 0
Appended [^[[38;5;] to the colseq_buf[^[[38;5;]

Doing: print -P %F{5}hello | cat -v

Yes, using termcap, 5 / 256 / 268435456
Yes, using termcap, 5 / 256 / 268435456
NOT, using termcap, 7 / 256 / 0
Appended [^[[38;5;] to the colseq_buf[^[[38;5;]
NOT, using termcap, 0 / 256 / 0
Appended [^[[38;5;] to the colseq_buf[^[[38;5;]
Yes, using termcap, 63 / 256 / 268435456
NOT, using termcap, 0 / 256 / 0
Appended [^[[38;5;] to the colseq_buf[^[[38;5;]
NOT, using termcap, 7 / 256 / 0
Appended [^[[38;5;] to the colseq_buf[^[[38;5;]
NOT, using termcap, 0 / 256 / 0
Appended [^[[38;5;] to the colseq_buf[^[[38;5;]
Yes, using termcap, 63 / 256 / 268435456
NOT, using termcap, 0 / 256 / 0
Appended [^[[38;5;] to the colseq_buf[^[[38;5;]

diff --git a/Src/prompt.c b/Src/prompt.c
index 959ed8e3d..1941b8ec9 100644
--- a/Src/prompt.c
+++ b/Src/prompt.c
@@ -1987,6 +1987,14 @@ set_colour_attribute(int atr, int fg_bg, int flags)
 	 */
 	if (tccan(tc) && (tccolours < 0 || colour < tccolours))
 	{
+
+            FILE *f = fopen("/tmp/reply", "a+");
+            if ( f ) {
+                fprintf(f, "Yes, using termcap, color:%d / tccolours:%d / use_termcap:%d\n", colour, tccolours, use_termcap);
+                fflush(f);
+                fclose(f);
+            }
+
 	    if (is_prompt)
 	    {
 		if (!bv->dontcount) {
@@ -2010,6 +2018,13 @@ set_colour_attribute(int atr, int fg_bg, int flags)
 	 */
 	if (colour > 7)
 	    return;
+    } else {
+        FILE *f = fopen("/tmp/reply", "a+");
+        if ( f ) {
+            fprintf(f, "NOT, using termcap, %d / %d / %d\n", colour, tccolours, use_termcap);
+            fflush(f);
+            fclose(f);
+        }
     }

     if ((do_free = (colseq_buf == NULL))) {
@@ -2019,6 +2034,11 @@ set_colour_attribute(int atr, int fg_bg, int flags)

     strcpy(colseq_buf, fg_bg_sequences[fg_bg].start);

+    FILE *f = fopen("/tmp/reply", "a+");
+    fprintf(f, "Appended [%s] to the colseq_buf[%s]\n", fg_bg_sequences[fg_bg].start, colseq_buf);
+    fflush(f);
+    fclose(f);
+
     ptr = colseq_buf + strlen(colseq_buf);
     if (def) {
 	strcpy(ptr, fg_bg_sequences[fg_bg].def);

* Bug with traps and exit
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-01-21 23:00 ` Martijn Dekker
From: Martijn Dekker @ 2019-01-21 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Found a strange issue with traps and 'exit'.

Test script:

trap 'printf $1; exit; printf $2' USR1
fn() {
        printf 1
        kill -s usr1 $$
        printf 2
}
printf 0
fn A B
printf 3

Every shell outputs 01A, except zsh, which outputs 01A2.

This means the execution of the fn() function is not interrupted. The
USR1 trap executes 'exit' and does not execute the rest of the trap
action, but instead of exiting the shell, zsh continues to execute fn()
and then exits.

Confirmed down to zsh 5.0.8 (didn't test earlier versions).

- M.

* Re: ETA for zsh 5.7? (was: Test release: 5.6.2-test-3)
@ 2019-01-22  9:29           ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2019-01-22  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Hackers' List

It sounds like something needs doing to the colour management before the
release, but from the emails so far I have no clue what --- it's not
clear to me even if removing the last patch (or even more?) is generally
better.  But I'll wait to see if some sort of enlightenment emerges.

No one responded to Daniel's comment on the file completion patch, and I
didn't have anything particularly helpful to add at the time.  As you
might guess from the original post, four lines of not very complicated
shell code in response to a specific user request for optional behaviour
fits comfortably within my own normal operating parameters, which are
obviously what I'm applying here, but I note the objection, and look
forward to the day when someone else is sending round these sorts of
emails and will be making their own decisions.

pws

* Re: Bug with traps and exit
@ 2019-11-24  5:54   ` Martijn Dekker
From: Martijn Dekker @ 2019-11-24  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Op 22-01-19 om 00:00 schreef Martijn Dekker:
> Found a strange issue with traps and 'exit'.
>
> Test script:
>
> trap 'printf $1; exit; printf $2' USR1
> fn() {
>          printf 1
>          kill -s usr1 $$
>          printf 2
> }
> printf 0
> fn A B
> printf 3
>
> Every shell outputs 01A, except zsh, which outputs 01A2.
>
> This means the execution of the fn() function is not interrupted. The
> USR1 trap executes 'exit' and does not execute the rest of the trap
> action, but instead of exiting the shell, zsh continues to execute fn()
> and then exits.
>
> Confirmed down to zsh 5.0.8 (didn't test earlier versions).

A related issue (possibly the same?) with a much simpler test case:

trap 'echo SIGINT; trap - INT; kill -s INT $$; echo woops' INT
kill -s INT $$

zsh prints 'woops', but shouldn't.

- M.

--
modernish -- harness the shell
https://github.com/modernish/modernish

* Re: Bug with traps and exit
@ 2019-11-25 16:42     ` Sebastian Gniazdowski
From: Sebastian Gniazdowski @ 2019-11-25 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martijn Dekker; +Cc: Zsh hackers list

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 at 23:52, Martijn Dekker <martijn@inlv.org> wrote:
> A related issue (possibly the same?) with a much simpler test case:
>
> trap 'echo SIGINT; trap - INT; kill -s INT $$; echo woops' INT
> kill -s INT $$
>
> zsh prints 'woops', but shouldn't.

One thing – this one doesn't reproduce in the exact sense – either
from the command line or from a script. Second – however, this prints
the "test":

trap 'echo SIGINT; trap - INT; kill -s INT $$; echo woops' INT
kill -s INT $$
print test

when run as a script or from command line. But I guess that the
default INT trap is a 'return' which doesn't cause the shell to exit?
This isn't stated exactly in the manual.