Hi, I was looking at some of my old patches and stumbled upon this one which implements mksh' ${|func;} substitution. The old thread went over a complex (x) flag choice as a expected candidate for such use case, however I've now thought that something is better than nothing and that implementing simpler ${!func;} doesn't block us from adding a more advanced x-flag in the future. Also, the simplicity of this substitution is a plus for it, opposed to x-flag complexity (think of existing e flag, whose's use is fairly complex). So I thought that I send the patch again upon cleaning conflicts, for consideration. Or should we revive the advanced x-flag? To recall - the ${|func;} substitution runs function "func" and substitutes (returned string in…) $REPLY after it has completed, without (!) doing forks, which is a performance and functionality benefit over currently available equivalent: $(func;print -rn -- $REPLY). Original thread: https://zsh.org/mla/workers/2019/msg00768.html -- Best regards, Sebastian Gniazdowski