On Mon, 19 Sept 2022 at 03:46, Bart Schaefer wrote: > On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 2:43 AM Sebastian Gniazdowski > wrote: > > > > On Sun, 18 Sept 2022 at 01:27, Bart Schaefer > wrote: > >> > >> Where would this fit in the overall design of contexts? > > > > I'm not sure, however there's a solution on the web, see: > https://stackoverflow.com/a/59513051/11999858 > > That solution gives the user control over when global aliases are > completed, by adding a function that can be placed anywhere in the > completer zstyle. The suggested value of that zstyle happens to make > global aliases complete before anything else, but that doesn't answer > the question of how a default should work. > Maybe looking from named dirs perspective can help? Currently, cd ~HO doesn't complete, too. I think that lack of such an obvious feature can make forward a way of completing also global aliases (like alias -g HOME ~)? How should be ~HOME completed I think that everybody knows (with exception of me)? The global aliases should be completed the same. > >> Do the aliases expand or is just their name completed? > > > > I think that only its name should be completed. > > I'll note that theoretically the ^Xa key binding (expand aliases) can > be programmed to complete when a partial word matches an alias and > expand when a full word matches. I didn't attempt setting up the > necessary zstyle contexts. > > When I tried ^Xa on my incomplete global alias it didn't complete… > > I think that it shouldn't be expanded, so the issue isn't actual. > > Upon further thought, I agree that it's not an issue for completion of > an alias itself. More generally, though, if the expansion of a global > alias contains ";" or "|" or "&&" or "||" etc., then ideally further > completions shouldn't be using the context of the preceding command > word. Unfortunately that requires checking every word to the left of > the cursor for a global alias, and expanding it, to get the "real" > context. > Could it just complete like ~HO should ? I don't really see the context issue, HO and ~HO should just complete… -- Best regards, Sebastian Gniazdowski